Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone running the new Yamaha 70 4 stroke?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone running the new Yamaha 70 4 stroke?

Coming in from my charter Monday my Suzuki went down. My boat is in Boise now getting re-powered with a Yamaha 70. I was surprised how much smaller and lighter this motor is. Is anybody running one of these?

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2013 on an 860 Wareagle. I run non-ethynol gas in it with Sea Foam. If I know it's going to set for over two weeks, I run the gas out of it. I usually stop fishing the end of May and don't start back until the middle of Sept. When I get to the lake in Sept, I'll pump the bulb up tight and it will crank as if I had been run it that morning. I started to get a 90 but glad I didn't. The 70 will push it 38 mph on glass. 90% of the time I run it 20 to 25 mph. If your's is matched to your boat, you're going to like it.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes Oregon slabman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the Suzuki?
    4 stroke?

Sent from my GT-I9515L using Tapatalk

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a lot of reading on them when a friend was looking to upgrade to a 90. They did a lot of changing on that motor to make it beter for the applications where it fits. So much smaller and lighter than the old 70 which was just a due tuned 90. Power to weight and displacement ratio is outstanding. Fuel economy should be really good. Think you will be well pleased with it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G", Oregon slabman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

DF70 4 stroke. I'm not sure what the problem is this time. It has a lot of hours on it. Been running it since 2003 averaging 100 trips a year. I can't afford the down time. This area is so remote good services are 2-3 hours away.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished out of two boats powered by those . Extremely quiet and sips fuel compared to my 2 stroke Yamaha .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

There is a pile of em down here on shallow skiffs. Seem to be a great motor.

Post Thanks / Like

My last boat had a Yamaha 50 two stroke. I looked into repowering it with a 4 stroke Yamaha. It was rated for. 75 so I considered the 75 and the (new at that time) 70. The 70 is a smaller displacement (about 1000cc) and lighter by about 100 pounds. The 75 is about 1500cc, uses the same block as the 90 and is about 100 pounds heavier than the 70.

I understand and that the 75 is a very torquey motor, and can be upgraded to 90 hp by removing a spacer from the intake tract. I would have chosen the 75 over the 70, but wound up trading boats and ended up with a Suzuki 90 on it and couldn't be happier with the Suzuki motor.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak