Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric or Old School

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric or Old School

I would think that most people that fillet there crappie are using electric knifes by now; but figure there is still a few of you out there that still like the feel of single blade. I'm using a $20 Mr. Twister that has served me well but it's starting to get pretty warm about 4 fish in so it's probably going to need replaced be for to long. On average I only clean 1/2 dozen or so at a time so I'm starting to wonder if there is any good reason to go back to a non-electric fillet knife, or should I just go ahead and buy a new electric knife and plan on replacing it every couple of seasons?
    Likes varmithunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone electric and can't see going back.. cheap black & decker carving knife (electric) works great. That being said, I still keep some fillets knives around, for trimming or for the times when a couple of fish ain't worth getting the electric out and cleaning double blades after use etc.. then it's nice to go back to the old school. I'm actually better with an electric then I ever was with a regular fillet knife... and quicker as well :-)
    Likes skeetbum, Moveon, Cane Pole LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

What Snubbys said. small fish get the hand drive and most everything else gets the electric and trimmed by hand.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

American angler pro. My last one lasted me round 15 years. I bought 2 more recently. Nothing has their power. Like gliding through butter!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 more recently.

After trying every other brand I could think of because the American Anglers were so expensive. Well I shoulda went first class the first time and it would have saved me alot of money.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Lonnie, put some fresh grease in that knife before you junk it. I did this with my AA and it helped it last for four more years.
    Likes crp4570, Lonnie84, Moveon LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I limit my catches (or at least take home) to twenty no matter the fish . Bream always get the hand knife and crappie get the ele. variety.since I scale then fillet time is to long on huge numbers . Heck I have already put up (not counting those eaten fresh) 25 quart bags of 20-35 bream fillets and 5 bags of crappie .
    Likes arkansasbowhunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a plain ole fashion Rapala filet knife. Just keep em sharp and carry on.
    Likes Dave and Lynn, NIMROD, Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Brimfisher is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Huntinslabs. I stick with an old fashioned filet knife.
    Create Memories Worth Repeating, Go Fishing With Your Dad.
    www.brimfisherjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use the regular rapala filet knife,I usually limit it to 10 to 15 max keepers per trip so it doesn't take too long to clean them.I feel comfortable using that knife as I've had it for quite a few years but I have kicked around the idea of trying the electric knife.I'm just worried I wouldn't like it and it would be a waste of money.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast