Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: lake wylie wednesday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Default lake wylie wednesday night.

Me, marty and danny hooked up last night for a "crappie" outing on wylie. Meeting at the buster boyd landing, we wanted to try a different location from the previous outing i had with pete and tool as variety is the spice of life and i wanted to see if the bite was as strong at the new location as the previous one. we was in martys boat and i gotta admit, since hes got it rigged for this kind of fishing (plenty of rod holders in the right locations, a great snack bar, and well stocked medicine chest, etc, etc) i really enjoy climbing into his sea pro for a night of it. Right now he can fish three comfortably and when he gets that fourth set of holders mounted he can handle four with ease . we need to add more light as with one lantern and me using the long poles seeing them white rod tips out there in the dark was a problem at first till i angled them to where i could get a good side view of them and then all was well. the first hour or so was sorta slow with not much action except from a few white perch, which went into the cooler . their pestering days being over forever. the first slab was caught by numreo uno and from that point on the night got hectic with slab after slab being lifted into the boat till about 930 when the bite started tapering off. we had decided prior to settin out to stop at ten due to work commitments by marty and danny. I dint quiet understand what they was meaning when they discussed work, and had to have em explain to me what that word meant. when they did, and i got done pukine, i was fine. we decided to stretch the night another 30 minutes to 1030 hoping the slabs would pick up the bite again but they had retreated, with the last unfortunate victim falling to the hook right at ten pm. all the crappie with the exception of two or three was real slabs. me and marty was discussing our recent striper ventures with danny, who was "wasting his time in deerstands" while we was striper hunting when danny hooked into a real drag puller which give him quiet a tussel on the ultralite before it come to net. we was all discussing the possibility of what it could be, as wed never seen a big crappie act so reluctant to come to net. what he had was a striper. the biggest one i can ever recall seeing come from wylie.. there was no doubt in my mind what he had with us having boated so many a few weeks ago at wateree. the fish went 17 inches and was a real suprise and treat to the slabs we had already caught. with none of us sure of what the striper rules for wylie was, if there is one, we let the critter go after a few pictures of danny with his prize fish. as everyone knows, im not bashful about taking photos and plenty was taken last night which will be posted later today if i can get em processed. we wound up with 44 fish, with around 30 of em slabs and the rest white perch and a couple foul hooked taterchips. with the cold weather coming in, last night was the last night venture for me till the weather warms some as im not one to fight the bitter cold anymore. ill be deep trolling and drifting the the creek channels in daylight hours, if i can take all that sunlight.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Rango. As I was readin the post I got to the part where Danny had the big one on and I just knew the story was gonna lead to another mishap regarding the net. I guess he will NEVER let that happen again! I'm sure I read somewhere that NC and SC had a deal to stock stripers in Wylie a few years ago. It seems NC did it but SC stiffed and that was the end of the program. I guess there's some still out there.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Nice job Rango. As I was readin the post I got to the part where Danny had the big one on and I just knew the story was gonna lead to another mishap regarding the net. I guess he will NEVER let that happen again! I'm sure I read somewhere that NC and SC had a deal to stock stripers in Wylie a few years ago. It seems NC did it but SC stiffed and that was the end of the program. I guess there's some still out there.
    several things i failed to mention in the post that happened last night i need to mention as it slipped my mind. I tried to lift a netter and he dropped off with a big splash which caused some discussions about martys boat also having free and expert netting services. well it so unnerved me, that shortly after that i called for the net and it turned out to be a small white perch. that led to some more discussions about some nursery rhyme about some boy crying wolf or something like that. that little feller was tugging like a real heavy weight. sometimes its just plain tough to call a shot........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tool
    Sounds like a good trip Rango. Pete rangled a small 13 inch striper last month when we were out pulling jigs around on Wylie. Maybe they'll grow and we'll get a few big uns come out of the lake in the next few years. I wish NC and SC would get their acts together. They really need to have a reciprocating license agreement.
    tool, i hope if they get established it aint before im sent off to the looney house for safe keeping. striper fishing is highly addictive to say the least

Post Thanks / Like

Rango thanks for the pictures you sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver
    Rango thanks for the pictures you sent.
    sure thing wesley.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    several things i failed to mention in the post that happened last night i need to mention as it slipped my mind. I tried to lift a netter and he dropped off with a big splash which caused some discussions about martys boat also having free and expert netting services. well it so unnerved me, that shortly after that i called for the net and it turned out to be a small white perch. that led to some more discussions about some nursery rhyme about some boy crying wolf or something like that. that little feller was tugging like a real heavy weight. sometimes its just plain tough to call a shot........
    Well it is certainly understandable that a man like you, bearing the weight of being the SC moderator, would overlook posting a small paragraph like that in such a lengthy post. Heck, sometimes I go fishin with characters of questionable virtue like you did last nite and wake up and don't even remember going at all....
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

the beast is well known for being home to questionalbe characters, especially the captain Hes the worst of the lot... the crewmen try to put some sembelance of civilization in him, but its a lost cause. all that medecine over the years........... I gotta admit tho, they have great taste in medicine....