Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everstart battery from Walmart did great today/ the one it replace -yuk!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Everstart battery from Walmart did great today/ the one it replace -yuk!

I took a less-than-year-old Everstart deep cycle battery, under warrenty back to Walmart and as usual when they tested it the results were fine - for a starting battery. I told them that even with a full charge the battery quit after light use (Minn Kota setting #3 or less) after three hours. Finally I was given an exchange after threatening to go to the store manager - especially about the horrendously bad service in auto.

I used the new battery today with my newer Minn Kota 55lb thrust tm and it worked great! We must have traveled over five miles around the lake searching for the large crappie the lake is know for as well as five other species. When I put the battery on charge when I got home, the percentage discharge read 55 % with a polarity voltage of 11.9v . The old battery reading that low would have barely turned the prop, but this one displayed what seemed like full power to the prop until we docked.

*I said newer tm because the older 55 lb M K I own with longer shaft may have used more energy, even using lower settings, depleting the older battery much sooner. The battery for all I know may have been good! (though I'm not sorry since this particular Walmart's auto dept. has always stunk.)

Strange to say the least and afraid to try the old unit with this battery.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

FROZEN ?

Post Thanks / Like

Running a battery down that low will severely shorten its life. You should stick with about 70% or around 12.3V as the bottom. You were at about 35% capacity remaining.

Post Thanks / Like

another thing with a new battery, before you use it charge it, sitting around in a store or warehouse takes a toll on the charge and some of them don't have a full charge when they go out in the first place. At least that's what the guy that delivered batteries to the Wal-Mart I worked at told me.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the voltage ladder lights on the terrova/ulterra equate to with respect to voltage levels. I am usually done when 2 LEDs are still showing though. Never been to 1 LED and I am out all day sometimes. I lack the interest to meter the levels.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes fishervet, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I used it again today with the newer Minn Kota and it went down to 75 % or 12.4v down from 13.4v/ 100% charge.
    Not bad in normal use - so far. Fingers crossed. Still wonder if I should leave it on trickle charge if the fully charged battery won't be used for a few days.
    Last edited by "G"; 05-18-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I love wal mart. I know exactly where the tums and ex-lax racks are.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G", wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    I used it again today with the newer Minn Kota and it went down to 75 % or 12.4v down from 13.4v/ 100% charge.
    Not bad in normal use - so far. Fingers crossed. Still wonder if I should leave it on trickle charge if the fully charged battery won't be used for a few days.
    You really need to get a five or ten amp charger that is designed to charge deep cycle marine batteries and it needs to be a good one that moniters the battery and comes on and shuts off when needed....this kind you can plug it in when you get home from fishing and leave it on until you get ready to go again....Your battery will last a whole lot longer.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes wannabe fisherman, RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am sooo thankful I am not in retail anymore. I would have called the store manager for you as well as corporate customer service. Battery tested good and he gave you horrible service by telling you that? And now you admit your TM was suspect. And also questioning your own maintenance procedure? No pity here except for the employee that was the brunt of your demands.
    Name:  31Tj3HRVIeL.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  11.1 KB
    Likes Locator79, joekiller LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know for certain the battery was good at least until I try the new one on the old motor.
    maintenance procedure?
    what are you talking about? I keep all my boat batteries charged through the winter and make sure of cell fluid levels. In fact, as I stated, the Sears Platinum battery which is over 10 years old, did as well as the Everstart which is less than a year. Starting batteries are different than deep cycle in the type of discharge - one being fast and powerful, the other being a slow discharge over a long period of use. I'm not sure of the test for deep cycles batteries.

As far as service goes, waiting an hour for an answer, allowing other customers to be waited on while I'm standing there, is crap service by anyone's standards. Store manager not calling back after the message I left is just icing on the cake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast