Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Saving Waypoint Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saving Waypoint Question

I have a Garmin Handheld GPS that I can download/upload my waypoints to/from my computer to my GPS and vice versa. This allows me to save them on my computer incase something was to happen to my GPS.

My question is this:
    How does this work with the Lowrance/Eagle fixed GPS units? Do you save the waypoints to a media card and then download the media card to a pc? IE, how do you backup your waypoints from one of these fixed units?

Thanks,
    deep-v
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

Purchase a mmc card, this would allow you to have a back up of the file. But you are not able to edit any waypoints, to do this you have to purchse a $120 program that lowrance sell call mapcreate. I like setup garmins have over everyone else.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance has a free waypoint managing program you can use - http://www.lowrance.com/Software/GDM6/Default.asp

Mine has two card slots and I have a Docking Station hooked up to my desktop for transfering data. They also have some free lake maps that are pretty good if you happen to fish on the lakes they offer.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a camo Garmin Etrex that I am currently using. I have also downloaded EasyGPS to my computer. What do I need to get to be able to download all my waypoints to my computer?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I have a camo Garmin Etrex that I am currently using. I have also downloaded EasyGPS to my computer. What do I need to get to be able to download all my waypoints to my computer?
    Just a data cable to connect your GPS too your computer - should have come with one - at least the Etrex Legend does.

Here's one for 7 bux plus shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/GPS-PC-Interface...QQcmdZViewItem - that will work if you have a serial port.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    We use Garmin Rino's, and have the GSAK program to manage our geocaching hobby. I have had EasyGPS installed but not on this new hard drive. Not sure how you can upload waypoints FROM your GPS, we're always downloading INTO the GPS... I find in my manual that you can, but I haven't tried it. You have to start with the Interface Settings Page, you have to have a USB cable to connect GPS to PC, (you got one?), and I am finding out I have a LOT to learn about this. I see that you can upload waypoints into a MapSource product, so if you have that you have a good start.
    I think I would begin tapping the great resourses of the GeoCaching community. There are a lot of computor nerds who know their geo-devices very well. I would start with the EasyGPS forums, they have a couple discussions along these lines in there now: http://forums.topografix.com/ Good Luck!
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info folks. I think I am going to get the Map Create package. I think I have settled on the Lowrance 332c for my unit. I really wanted a GlobalMap unit but the new ones haven't shipped yet, and the older models aren't what I am looking for. So for the money I can get GPS and Sonar all in one unit. I can then move my Fishmark 480 up to the bow of my boat.

So many units to choose from.
    GO STEELER'S!