Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckets in Deep Water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buckets in Deep Water?

Has anyone tried dropping buckets with only rocks in them to make them sink in deeper water (12 or more feet)? I've had several on here suggest buckets on shallow spawing banks, but what about creek channels or main lake humps for pre and post spawn crappie? I have someone that can get me an endless supply of buckets, but I don't have much time to make condos and thought about just dropping 15 or 20 buckets in some deeper water in several different places? Any experiences w/ this?

Also, I do a lot of bass fishing and was wondering if any of you had tried buckets alone for bass as I love fishing stumps for bass?

Post Thanks / Like

Go onto the main board and ask for 1 weezer and ask him this question. He guides on Kentucky Lake and has put in a bunch of " bucket Beds". If you have a big supply, You could just try a spot to see. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I usually put buckets in shallow water because the algie will grow faster on them. However, I have put some buckets in deep water. It takes longer for the fish to come to them, but they do work. If I am planning to put buckets in deep water, (15 to 25 feet) I will usually put a little wood in them just to get the fish coming to them. Then when the wood rots out, the buckets will be there for ever. If you have an endless supply for the buckets, I would really like to talk to you. I have around 30,000 buckets in the lake but would love to put more in. My supply has run out and now have no where to get them.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    I usually put buckets in shallow water because the algie will grow faster on them. However, I have put some buckets in deep water. It takes longer for the fish to come to them, but they do work. If I am planning to put buckets in deep water, (15 to 25 feet) I will usually put a little wood in them just to get the fish coming to them. Then when the wood rots out, the buckets will be there for ever. If you have an endless supply for the buckets, I would really like to talk to you. I have around 30,000 buckets in the lake but would love to put more in. My supply has run out and now have no where to get them.

I guess my definition of "endless" is a little different than yours. Sounds like you already have more than you could fish in a years time and they will be there forever. I can probably get a little over a hundred a week, but I have to have a guy that works at the place pick them up for me and I hate to inconvenience him too often. Sorry I couldn't help you out, but will be looking to find a place I can pick them up myself w/out inconviencing anyone and will let you know if I find a place.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Might Be Able To Help

Hey weezer. My brother-in-law and son-in-law both work for a fire extinguisher company. They get hundreds of buckets every year that they get the fire extinguishing agents in. I'll see if we can spare a few. Also we get lots of buckets & Plastic 30 to 40 gal drums on our towboats. The cleaners that come in them are Biodegradable and environmentally friendly. The company has over 140 boats so that's a good source too. I use the big drums cut in half. Big Stump! Big Stump! :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have put out lots of 5 gal buckets and friend of mine was showing me his 30 gal. barrels cut into with a little bit of brush/wood attached and they looked real good. He has been putting out the 30 gal barrels for a few years and he catches lots of fish off them. I just made some with 55gal barrels with pvc inside and hope they work well. My bucket supplier run out and now my dad and I pick up buckets going up and down the highways where they have blown out of someone truck. I need a bumper sticker that says "I brake for buckets":D . If anyone has any buckets/barrels they need to get rid of give me a shout. I don't post very much but I am on here everyday looking at tips and tricks to help me become a better crappie fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good Wiskers. Give me a shout and we will get together on this.
    Thanks
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Sounds good Wiskers. Give me a shout and we will get together on this.
    Thanks
    You got it buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

It is a good idea and something I had never thought of. All you would need are enough pieces of concrete, broken bricks, rocks to make it sink and stay in a location. If you cut the metal handle off with a hacksaw and drilled a couple of 1" holes in the upper sides of the bucket you could lower them on a rope and space them out on the bottom of the lake. There wouldn't be anything to hang up on. If you arre fishing a lake without much bottom cover (older lakes) I bet this would work good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yep!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    If you cut the metal handle off with a hacksaw and drilled a couple of 1" holes in the upper sides of the bucket you could lower them on a rope and space them out on the bottom of the lake. There wouldn't be anything to hang up on.
    Yep that's exactly how I put my buckets out! :D No handles. Drill 2 1" holes with a wood bit, run the rope thru the holes, hold both ends of the rope till it hits bottom, then pull the rope back thru. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast