Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How often do you use Spoons for Crappie in open water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you use Spoons for Crappie in open water?

Was just curious as to how many of you use spoons for crappie in open water and not ice fishing. I've never used spoons for crappie and would like to try this summer when they migrate to deeper waters and jig for them. Also, if you have a favorite spoon you really like for crappie please feel free to mention it! Thanks!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used jigging spoons for crappie. No real one that shined above the others. I used blade baits with good success also. Of course, be careful around timber and brush or you won't see the very often before they get hung never to return. Weedless single hooks was something I wanted to try but never got it done. Drifting flats and jigging the bait up and following it down(so the hit can be felt) is what I did. Good luck with it, and a small ball bearing swivel eliminates the line twist. Tight lines........Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Spoons work great. But I have so much confidence in the jig & plastic combos, that I rarely use them anymore. I like the smallest size KastMaster spoons.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Spoons work great. But I have so much confidence in the jig & plastic combos, that I rarely use them anymore.
    This ^^^^^

Jigs rule. Best artificial lure ever created.

Post Thanks / Like

watched an older fella pitching around bridge columns with a tandem micro spoon on the bottom and a jig on the top .....
    said he fished for crappie that way all the time ......
    never seen him ketch a crappie that day , but he bout got yanked out of his boat by a big striper .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Been using microspoons for years. When I'm drift fishing, I'll tip with a minnow or plastic tail. Some days they love the wobble of the spoon over even a jig. When I'm hanggliding in the fall, over deep stumps and brushpiles, I use the large ones that Microspoons and jigs company make. Google them.