Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can a trolling motor be too strong?

Post Thanks / Like

Default can a trolling motor be too strong?

i found a good deal locally on a 105lb thrust trolling motor but i have an older style aluminum boat that is easily less than 1000 lbs. i currently have a 55lb thrust and it works perfectly. i want to buy a trolling motor with the spot lock anchor feature. would 105lb be too much to use spot lock anchor features on a minn kota or motor guide? thanks.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not in my opinion. The power adjustment is pretty good and doesn't jump into boogie mode instantly like a set number of speed unit would. The question I have is do you have the room to put 3 batteries away. Good luck with it, you'll love the spot lock feature.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Sooner or later you will be glad you have the extra power, I'm running a minn kota 112 and before I pulled the trigger was wondering the same thing but knew I would regret it if I realized later that I should have went bigger. Now I've been in at lest two maybe three situations with 2 ft waves and wind and had to run at full power "10" to push through it. Without the extra power would have had to fire up the big motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy once told me years ago..."You know why I use a 105? Because thats as big as they make!" Back then of coarse. They make even bigger now. But no such thing as too much power. Just dont use it all at once! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Can't have too much power with a troller. Only reason not to have it is cuz of the cost but if buying used or gettin a good deal then the more the better.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a '94 17 1/2' tracker pro-v, not a super heavy boat but not light either. I've had it since it was new and it came with a 30# 5 speed TM. It was a little under powered and when it came time to replace the tm I found a 5 speed 70# thrust tm for sale on a great price. I absolutely hated that thing. Even on it's lowest speed it was too much power, I couldn't slow it down enough for me and I never used it at more than speed 3. At speed 5 it was so strong it almost ripped itself off the deck of the boat, it was very hard to control and God forbid if the motor turned expectantly it almost threw me out of the boat. Need less to say I got rid of that thing and have never regretted my decision. One thing I will mention is I also asked this same question on another forum before I bought that TM. All the reply's came back as "go for it, you can't have too much". I will say that the guy who influenced me the most (I later found out) had a glass boat and had never owned an alum boat with that size TM. Even if I had bought the variable speed I would have still hated it because at the top end It would have just been way to strong, I would have never used it.

Here where I am now and I'm very happy with my decision. I want to mention I fish 3 to 5 days per week and fish year round in all kinds of weather. Also I've had this set-up since 2008 so it's not something new. I went with a 55# 12v motor but this time I went with a digital (variable speed). I do run 2 batteries because I used to LL troll quite a bit. I plan on going back to 1 battery when 1 of these batteries die since I rarely troll anymore. Part of my thought is why carry the extra weight and cover the extra expense if you don't need it or you aren't going to use it. Actually the variable speed motors are more efficient so I would probably have no need for that 2nd battery anymore.

I hear people say you can't have too much power but I'm on the flip side of that. Honestly I fish in some miserable weather but I do have my limits as to what I will endure to catch some fish. Here's one thing to try...stand in the bow of your boat, turn your TM either right or left 90 degrees and turn the power all the way up and hit your power button. Now imagine you have twice that much power in your TM. In my opinion, go buy the TM that you want. Even though this isn't normal to do with you TM I do know I've had my TM on it's highest speed (didn't realize it) and turned it on. It does happen.
    You won't save anything by the time you pay for the wrong TM and then go out and replace it with the right TM. This is from a guy who's been there.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If 55 works perfect, how can you improve that?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes crappiemax, blueball, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Can you have too much bacon? Its a good deal. Buy it. Run it at 30-50% and enjoy it.
    Likes fiveeyes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I will echo Crappiemax - BUT - if the motor is a 5 speed I would say - Yes the motor is too big.

If the motor is "Digital" (Motorguide's term for electronic speed control) then - No it is not too big.

You MUST have the ability to turn down the motor to a point where you can use it.
    My MG Tour 106 on a 16' Monark will barely turn over at the lowest speed, because it is a Digital model that has a very linear speed control.

So the question is on the motor - "How low will it go?"
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes blueball, skeetbum, Eagle 1, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I will echo Crappiemax - BUT - if the motor is a 5 speed I would say - Yes the motor is too big.

If the motor is "Digital" (Motorguide's term for electronic speed control) then - No it is not too big.

You MUST have the ability to turn down the motor to a point where you can use it.
    My MG Tour 106 on a 16' Monark will barely turn over at the lowest speed, because it is a Digital model that has a very linear speed control.

So the question is on the motor - "How low will it go?"
    That's exactly what I got outa his post as well. Lesson learned, don't get a 5 speed troller. I had a 42lb motor guide 5 speed when I first got my boat. I couldn't go less than .6 mph. That's a problem. Got a 55lb with variable speed and can turn it down to .2mph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast