Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weightless

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weightless

Does anyone go weightless with jig fishing and what are your techniques?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

???

I'm not sure what you're asking. All jigs are weighted.

Can you clarify?

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of putting a curly tail on a lead head hook, just putting it on a small hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Lee View Post
    Instead of putting a curly tail on a lead head hook, just putting it on a small hook.

I do that, but I cast it with a fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, i do it on drop shot rigging. polamar knot(on hook) with split shot on long tag end. deadly on all fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe while drop shotting, but why would you want to do it as you describe? Depth & speed control would difficult to maintain by doing that. And you'd have to retrieve it so slow (in order to get any depth) that a curly tail or boot tail plastic would have little or no action. Unusual approach for sure.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Just figuring a way to let a jig hover over a bed or school without using a bobber. The bed I was fishing were only a couple feet deep, think the plop of the bobber did more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it before to achieve a really slow fall and also on a drop rig to try and make the jigs more lively on the line. I also have done it with the gulp minnows and cast them.It makes such a slow fall and natural presentation it will on occasion fool fish when things are tough. I don't do it often but have and in certain conditions it does work. Part of the trick to catching shallow fish is finding a jig that has them so fooled and triggers them to strike so fast you can just cast or pitch it right on them or just past them and reel it to them. Preferably they will hit it on the fall. Your jig needs some action on the fall. If its a curl or paddle tail it needs to have good tail action on the fall,basically swimming down,a small road runner head needs to spin on the fall,not just when you're reeling it. A spinner, or curl tail that is swimming will slow the fall.Also some tube jigs glide a little rather than fall like a rock. When a jig is just right in clear water I can see that crappie actually come off the bottom and grab that lure before it even has time to hit bottom. That lure needs to look alive when it hits the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Lee View Post
    Just figuring a way to let a jig hover over a bed or school without using a bobber. The bed I was fishing were only a couple feet deep, think the plop of the bobber did more harm than ...
    That situation is tailor-made for the fly rod.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rusty, try using 4 lb test, or 2, and use a 1/64 or 1/80 oz Popeye hair jig. Need line that light to be able to cast them without adding splitshot for extra weight. Works great for bluegill and red ear bed fishing. Loosen that drag a little tho. Those shellcrackers pull hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast