Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Braided line and rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided line and rods

Which brand of rods have you used successfully that don't break using braid?
    Likes jigman_09 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had any problem using braid in respect to breaking rods, keep your drag set where you can pull line off the reel by hand and you will be fine.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes dstreet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rees Guide View Post
    I haven't had any problem using braid in respect to breaking rods, keep your drag set where you can pull line off the reel by hand and you will be fine.
    This ^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Doubled a B'n'M PST under the boat today into the prop, literally.. 12 footer, she held up nicely. Like Rees posted, it's about drag set not so much mono or braid.. you could break a rod easy on either if your drag is set to tight.. or not paying attention. Braid gives you a better chance to hand pull (bend a hook) to retrieve your lure back (use gloves).. but rods can be broken on either. Lots of good rods out there :-)
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Never broke a rod with braid here either. I know what the drag needs to be set at with each rig, plus, I always use a 5' - 6' fluorocarbon leader for it's shock resistance value and abrasion resistance. Works for me.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any problem with braid. I can break a rod stepping on it whether it's lined with braid or mono.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Started using it when it first came out Bass fishing and transitioned it into Crappie fishing back in early 90's. I have never broke a rod from using it. Some crappie pole company's want to give you static about using braid on their poles. I think that's just trying to get out of warranty. Like Ree's and others said, it's all about setting your drag and knowing the limits of your equipment. Now on most of my poles I use a 8-10 pound test braid so it should break before mono since mono has so much stretch.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Billbob LIKED above post