Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older Model Stratus Boat

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Older Model Stratus Boat

I have an older model stratus. A 1989 21' to be exact. The steering is so stiff it can be VERY hard to turn when not on plane especially in cold weather). Once on plane it turns with ease, except to the left. It being an older model, it is the old cable and pully system. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to loosen in up? I cleaned up around the front of the motor and added some grease , but it didn't seem to help that much. Any suggestions would be helful.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

My guess would be that the steering cable is bad,i had to replace mine last winter,the colder it was the harder it was to steer.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

you may need to replace all the pulleys or grease them up real good. some had sealed bearings so if you don't have a good needle to use on your grease gun. you will just have to replace the pulleys because they are hard to get grease in them. you also need to look the cables over good to see if the plastic coating is messed up cuasing the cable to slip of the pulleyand putting it in a bind. There are bearings on the steering shaft to lube and inspect. Got an old 1962 glass par that has the same type system on it and they can be a pain. hope this helps you out. not being there myself to look at it its hard to say for sure whats causing it to bind. grubby
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

you do not have the pulley system...i am gonn say you have a dual rack system by detmar...most manufactures for that year used the detmar system in the bass boats..if it is a detmar the cables have been disscontinued..you will have to replace the whole system..if i remember right..the system installed should run $450-$500..i'll look tomarrow if you want me too
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this same problem with more than one boat in the past and the only solution was new steering cables.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have to replace the whole steering system I would recommend checking into hydraulic steering. I have no idea what it costs as it came on my Blue Wave but it sure is nice. You can turn with one finger and you don't have to hold the steering wheel to keep it from pulling to one side. The motor will not turn unless you turn the steering wheel.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    If you have to replace the whole steering system I would recommend checking into hydraulic steering. I have no idea what it costs as it came on my Blue Wave but it sure is nice. You can turn with one finger and you don't have to hold the steering wheel to keep it from pulling to one side. The motor will not turn unless you turn the steering wheel.

I second that! My new Triton was the 1st bass boat I've ever had w/ hydraulic steering and I would never have another without it.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you are exactly right. I would appreciate if you looked at that.

Is there any way to loosen this up in any way besides replacing it? Is this something I should be worried about as far as safety is concerned.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it steers easily to the right, you're okay. If it starts steering tothe left - hold on to your wallet!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

my 1979 bumble bee bass boat with a 55 hp . evinrude was stiff . it had a single cable rackinpinion stering i replaced all but the steringwhell . it was $150.00 i installed it myself . it turns like a power stering . the torque of the engin will make it pull to the right . the tab on the bottom just above the prop will take that out .if it is the plastic coated steel cable i have bought that at hardware store . made stickstering cable with it also.
    retired and now i will always fish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast