Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Wiring Suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Wiring Suggestion

This is not a crappie topic, but i do need a suggestion for my crappie boat with regards to wiring. I have a bass tracker pro team 175. Last year i installed two optima blue tops and a minnkota two bank (10 amp per bank) charger. This all fit nicely in the compartment which houses my onboard gas tank. I would now like to move the two batteries and the charger to the forward storage compartment, under the front casting deck. This will transfer close to 100 pounds of weight to the front of the boat, as well as stability. I plan to wire the foot controlled trolling motor to one of the batteries directly from its position. I also plan to utilize the current wiring for the trolling motor which runs through a pre-installed pvc chase, as a method to connect all other electronics, outboard, etc. that are terminated in the back of the boat to the other blue top in the front of the boat. 6 guage wiring is in place and should more than handle the load over 15 feet or so. My question is this, what is the best way to terminate the wires in the back of the boat to the 6 guage wire that ultimately connects to the battery in the front? Can anyone recommend a terminal block, or fused block? I feel that this is a common modification, i would just like to know what anyone else has been sucessful with. If i have left out any details, let me know.
    Thanks
    Chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

to find a good selection of blocks, visit a high quality car audio store, they will have a bunch to choose from and they are usually quality items

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a fuse block at AUTOZONE that has worked great. Only cost about $6.00. I then made a ground block myself. Have had no problems.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

did you moove the cranking battery to the frunt also . you may need a bigger wire to the starter . it might crank it but will be weak with a smaller wire . those starters are expensive to replase . check with the site posted above . T M D will know what size wire you need
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea Mister Twister. I too have a Tracker 175. Moving those batteries to the front compartment would definitely add stability and may even help the boat plane quicker. When I hooked up my front depth finder, it was a pain in the neck to run that wire all the way to the back. I wonder if having the shorter run of wire to the console mounted and front depth finder will help eliminate interference? I hadn't thought of moving the batteries up front, but I have considered putting 3" PVC pipes filled with sand up there to add weight to the front. I rarely use it for much else but anchor storage anyway. Keep us posted on how the modification goes.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks....

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go to the local auto parts store and see what is available. I have entertained the thought of moving the two optima's up front, with the charger, and putting a cranking battery in the back for the outboard. This would take care of my weight problem and i can then use a fuse block to run just the electronics to the front of the boat, utilizing the newly vacated TM wiring. This would leave the OB with its own battery, nothing to interfere.

You know its funny but both optima and Minnkota (i suspect all batteries and chargers) claim that the batteries, chargers, etc, should be placed away from the gas tank, yet they come from the factory this way and generally speaking any modifications we fisherman make ourselves involve batteries, chargers, and gas tanks being located in the same area. I guess it is just a disclaimer.

This will no doubt plane the boat faster, and increase stabilty in the front of the boat. Both of which were goals, but saftey is always on top as well.

Thanks for your comments, i wll let you know how this turns out.
    Chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Before you use fuse blocks you might concider useing the same guage wires with soldered butt connectors and heat shrink to seal out water. Lessen the number of connections and you lessen the nuimber of things to vibrate loose. Good luck on whatever you choose. Ferdi

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a good idea to have your cranking battery too far away from your starter. Lots of amperage here.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"