Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10% of the Water?? How far will they Go!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10% of the Water?? How far will they Go!

I've heard the old saying about 90% of the fish will be in 10% of the water; just wondering if there is any truth in that ole tail?

And if so, just how far will fish travel when on a good sized lake say 20,000 acres?

With today's technologies I would like to see more RF tagging to put some solid answers to these questions.

In fact I'd like to do a little on my own so I could just go straight to 'em.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie84 View Post
    I've heard the old saying about 90% of the fish will be in 10% of the water; just wondering if there is any truth in that ole tail?
    There's a lot of truth to it, and it applies to a lot more than just fishing. It's usually 80/20 rather than 90/10. It's formal name is the "Pareto Principle". Google it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's probably pretty accurate, if you consider that the fish are not going to be evenly distributed throughout the lake ... shore to shore & surface to bottom.

As far as how far one will travel ... one female in the KY Lake Tagging Study was reported to have traveled away from & returned almost 2.5mi from her eventual nesting area, in ONE day. But, overall ... I believe they tend to stay in a "home range" area.
    Likes callmecamo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

a bud told me they (the state folks) tagged some with radio thingeez and ...the white crappie .....traveled about the same as posted above on nightly forays for food items .
    I think this is why on some days they are on one pile or location and other days on the other end of the lake to some degree . sun comes up and its to far to go where they came from and they rest in whatever location until darkness comes once again .
    one thing for certain if one eliminates the places they don't frequent and concentrates on the places they like one will stumble upon them sooner or later ....
    10% of the water seems to apply in many cases to me ......large or small waters
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the fish are where you find them. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes trypman1, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I helped a University biologist by catching crappie for him to tag several years ago on Sardis. We tagged with radio transmitters and released at the dam. Next day, he tracked several of the fish almost 6 miles up the lake from where we released them.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes Lonnie84 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    I helped a University biologist by catching crappie for him to tag several years ago on Sardis. We tagged with radio transmitters and released at the dam. Next day, he tracked several of the fish almost 6 miles up the lake from where we released them.
    Interesting. I have been told by 2 marine biologist ( Tim Broadbent in Tn and Paul Rister in Ky) that crappie rarely roam more than 2 miles from where their spawn area. I also believe there are deep water fish and shallow water fish of both species. This is based on many years of fishing the same areas and also agreed with and told this by Paul Rister marine biologist Ky.
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Interesting. I have been told by 2 marine biologist ( Tim Broadbent in Tn and Paul Rister in Ky) that crappie rarely roam more than 2 miles from where their spawn area. I also believe there are deep water fish and shallow water fish of both species. This is based on many years of fishing the same areas and also agreed with and told this by Paul Rister marine biologist Ky.
    Surprised me. later on in the study, he lost track of several fish...don't know how far they went....lol
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised me. later on in the study, he lost track of several fish...don't know how far they went....lol
    Probably in someones frig in Illinois.
    Likes 62snipey62, fishervet LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Those fish knew if you were there ,K David would be there shortly . they left .
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast