Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it going to be a good spring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it going to be a good spring

Just wondering what everybodys take on spring is? Do you think it is going to get warm quick and get the water temp. up or is it going to be a cold spring

Bubba
    "Take Life one fish at a time"

Post Thanks / Like

I think this spring is going to be tough. In my opinion spring can be a very unpredictable time for crappie. One day they might be shallow only to have move out the next. Weather plays a huge roll if the weather is unstable as it always is in spring fishing will be hard. If the weather stays consistant it should be excellant this is a opinion based on my home waters.

Hopefully it wont warm to quick and be more of a gradual climb up in temps this year. It will stay cold and then warm up quick thats the pattern we been seeing the past few years.

Post Thanks / Like

All springs are good, the fish do move around alot but the looking, and then finding is what makes crappie fishing fun. I really don't mind cold fronts, it seems like it prolongs the pre-spawm.

Like Crappie Wisdom said, the last few years it seemed to go from cool to hot in a very short time. When it does that its time to go turkey hunting.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemax
    All springs are good, the fish do move around alot but the looking, and then finding is what makes crappie fishing fun. I really don't mind cold fronts, it seems like it prolongs the pre-spawm.

Like Crappie Wisdom said, the last few years it seemed to go from cool to hot in a very short time. When it does that its time to go turkey hunting.
    No, it's time to go crappie hunting. You do your studying and you'll know where to start looking for them. I catch fish year round on the lakes i fish. Years of study and practice have been paying big dividends for me. Oh.. and i dont hunt so that gives me more reason and time to track the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry No hunting and more homework?

But it's the only time I'll take to go turkey hunting. I don't actually quit fishing, I just limit it to after work or just one day on the weekend. Like you, I generally fish year round. However this snow and cold makes it tough. In SW Ohio, we usually don't have too much safe ice, but I'm calling a friend who has a pond and may see what the crappie and gills are doing this Saturday if he has safe ice. Or, I may drive up to Buckeye Lake for the day and drill some holes. Either way, I can't take much more of this house.

After the water heats up, the spawn ends and the fish move towards their summer patterns, the crappie actully seem to be a little more predictable. Some lakes are still a mystery to me in summer but, I mostly avoid them, not because of the fish moving to deerer water but because of the jet ski's and the launch ramps are a mess. I'll generally fish the smaller limited hp lakes and I love fishing deep water structure.

In 3 more weeks I'm heading to Wiess Lake. Usually the fish are still fairly deep over the river channels or are just starting to move to the creek mouths, either way I'll be crappie hunting soon.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I know its a long ride for you, but a group of us are going to Presque Isle Bay this saturday. Grab a couple buddies and come on up. I hear the panfish bite is on right now and you can catch a hundred fish a day there.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for the offer, but it is a long drive. I'm hoping that we can hook-up one day as I think our styles are similar. I know you and The King from OGF are going to be at Ky Lake in early April. I may try to be there that week if others in group can schedule. Also may try to make it to Delaware for the (OGF) crappie outing.

That Presque Isle sounds good. Is there lodging nearby or restraunts. I've seen some past reports and am interested. Any info would be appreciated.
    With a little notice, I could probably talk myself in to doing this sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

check the ice forum on OGF. they have some great info there.

Post Thanks / Like

A cool spring would be fine with me. If you know where to look, you'll find the fish whether their on the banks spawning or holding out waiting. But the cool weather will keep some of the pleasure boats and jetskis off the lake. From living here my whole life, though, I wouldn't be suprised to wake up tomorrow to 75 degrees and sunny. The weather men can't predict the weather here, so I don't try to either.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that groundhog!! So I am not going to wait. I'm going slabbin tomorrow at Saltfork. Nothing better than ice slabs. But I am looking forward to Spring too.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast