Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock shooting technique

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock shooting technique

I was wondering what everyone's perfered method of presentation is for dock shooting. I normally shoot with a small ice fishing slip cork but I am not very successful........

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thread that I posted in, 10yrs ago : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ecnique-2.html

I may not be using the same rod/reel as back then ... but, the technique hasn't changed much, if at all.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not much for big fish but I did a video 3 years ago that I shoot a bunch in . Look up" crappie fishing at the nursery ". Once you get it right a little bit the practice will refine things and you'll be able to do it with lots of different rod
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Im not to bad when it comes to shooting the jig. My problems are knowing what type of presentation to use on the retrieve....crappiepappy, how long do you let your jig sink before steadily reeling it back in? Do you ever use a cork?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1 View Post
    Im not to bad when it comes to shooting the jig. My problems are knowing what type of presentation to use on the retrieve....crappiepappy, how long do you let your jig sink before steadily reeling it back in? Do you ever use a cork?
    Actually, I've never used a float of any kind for dock shooting.

As to "presentation" : mostly I reel in slow & steady, and I've even been known to "jiggle" the rod tip a couple of times during the retrieve ... not every cast, but just occasionally.
    My first series of casts I usually start the retrieve as soon as the jig lands, then begin using the countdown method in +2ft increments ... if I have reason to believe that the fish may be deeper than 6-8ft down. Basically, my retrieve presentation for dock shooting is the same as when I'm casting a jig ... the only real difference being my method of delivery (overhead cast / underhand slingshot) ... and I use the same rod/reel for both.

I don't know if it's totally accurate, but I assume my 1/16oz jighead/plastic will sink ~1ft/sec on loose line. My normal retrieve speed allows the jig to sink from 6-8ft deep on a normal length cast, so if I want the jig to go deeper I will start my retrieve 2 seconds after the jig hits the water ... and increase the wait time by 2 more seconds on following casts. BUT, I will make several casts, covering different angles and sections of the dock before adding any extra depth to my retrieve. That way I not only cover the water column depth range, but also as much horizontal territory underneath the dock as possible.

I always use a weedless jighead, so when I see the line is not coming towards me ... I'll wait till I feel the jig come in contact with the obstacle the line is draped over, then lower the rod tip about 6 inches and raise it about 12 inches (all in one smooth motion) which usually causes the jig to bounce over the obstacle. I also mentally ready myself for the "thump" of a strike after doing so, since I've had it happen many times before.

I also use the "Vertical Casting" method ... sometimes during, but almost always "after" having presented my jig from many angles & various depths. Especially so, if the dock is a stationary dock (on pillars). I might even do it on floating docks, but I don't shoot floating docks very often.
    Here's my article on Vertical Casting : Crappie Pappy Article that explains how I do it.
    Likes Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the advice and tips