Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: line coming off jig head

Post Thanks / Like

Default line coming off jig head

Need some help. I thought I had broke off a jig today, but when I went to retie, the loop was still in tact. The line had come off. There is on opening in the eye, it is not a solid ring, but has a small opening at the end of the bend. It was a road runner jig. Then it happened again. It does not happen when using a palomar know, but I prefer the loop knot when jigging. Any ideas? I tried to bend it shut and broke the eye off the jig.

later...etex

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't have an idea, but will be following this thread. I have had it happen also. Not with RR's but with regular jigs. I use 10/2 braid and it will just slip out once in a while.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

This is common with most jig hooks. The eye's are not always closed properly. Just a manufacturing variation. Go to a "Snap Hook" instead of a loop. You can get these from:

Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying

I use the size #2 (mid-size) for all my jigging applications for crappie. Been using them for many, many years now. Never a problem or issue. And they give you the same freedom of movement you want & need in your jig presentations.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I see four scenarios..use a Palomar knot as you do now at times..I use this knot 90% of the time..inspect all jigs, and reject any without a tightly closed eye..use a small Duolock snap instead of the loop knot, again, I do this a lot, and IMO does not 'spook' fish..lastly,cast your own jigs with well inspected hooks..YMMV...........5

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I check all the gaps on my jigs and if I find on that is not tight, one small drop of super glue to fill the gap will usually stop it from happening.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes Redge, LureJunky LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Needle nose will close it up.

Post Thanks / Like

needle nose used carefully to close em up - but most times I use a duo lock snap. They are strong I've hooked a few big snapping turtles fishing worms and they've held just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same problem with Nanofil Needle nose worked .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts gentlemen. I will try the snaps when jigging and try the super glue or needle nose pliers when shutting docks. I will also inspect my jigs closer.

later...etex