Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Question: New Aluminum/Used Glass

Quailtail is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Question: New Aluminum/Used Glass

I want to upgrade boats. I can afford a new 20 ft Aluminum Lowe/Alumacraft with a 115 motor. Or, a 05 Stratos 20 ft 201 pro XL with a 250 for the same money. Not sure which way to go. Presently using a glass Procraft. Crappie and blugill are what I fish for. Any suggestions as to which way to go?

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pardnr. Just bout a tracker 195. It is sweet. Rides better than by tin bay. Both have a 150. His is 15mph faster

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The 195 is a sweet rig with a 115, I wouldn't need any more than that. Currently have a glass 18' with a 150 and though its 28 yrs old runs very well. I like the glass in windy/choppy conditions but I'm thinking metal for the next one myself. If it gets windy anymore I just go home anyway. Lots of storage in the 195 too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes BAMA S LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You know the saying " you're about as happy as you make up your mind to be". If you have a laid back attitude and fish like you say you will probably be just fine with the aluminum. If you second guess yourself a lot and are prone to buyer remorse you will probably at sometime wish you had the Stratos.

The new boat and motor will have warranty....you get that Stratos and something goes wrong you might be out some sizeable bucks. If I fished Table Rock,or another big lake and wanted to make long runs up and down the Lake especially when the big waves were out I would take the Stratos. It's not right to not clean and wax and stuff the bass boats...the aluminums can be really low maintenance,especially if you don't mind them getting a little grimey. I do like the way the low free board fiberglass don't blow around as bad in the wind...but like you say if you don't fish in the wind that much no loss.
    Likes jusanothajoe, feeshrman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would go tin and new for sure. And agree that Tracker 195 and 190 are both a lot of boat. Heck that Tracker 175 fishes bigger than it is. Dont know much on the others cause the only dealer within an hour drive I trust is a tracker dealer. But the Lowe and Express look very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a glass guy, think I always will be because of where and how I fish. With that said, unless you are fishing some seriously big water I would get the new boat, if they were both used then I would lean toward glass. A blown 250 would take 7 or 8 grand to replace the powerhead and I can name you 15 folks that I know personally that have had to do this within a year of buying a boat with a big used outboard on it. That Lowe/Alumacraft is one heck of a ride too!!!
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes jusanothajoe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glass rides better and is a whole lot quieter. My next boat will be a 18-20' glass boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna throw in my .02 worth. I can say Paul and I have been there and got the t-shirt on this one. It's not about the species you target. It's about the conditions and environment you normally fish in. Do you fish big water like Ky or Barkley Lake, or do you fish smaller impoundments? Are you retired and have the luxury of fishing whatever days are good or are you a weekend fisherman at the mercy of Mother Nature? Do you fish any tournaments? I think the answers to these questions play a large part in deciding what kind of boat to buy. We bought a brand new War Eagle Predator with a 115 and loved it . . . . for a while. After several trips and a few tournaments on windy/bad weather days, the love affair was over. So, we sold a boat that we bought new and bought an 8 year old fiberglass Ranger. For us, it was the best decision . . . . even after the motor blew and we had to buy a new one.

One more thing . . . . What's the 20 ft aluminum boat rated for? Seems like it ought to be more than a 115. If it were me, I would want the max hp it's rated for.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

If one has a four stroke motor, get that one! If you don't need to go mach 3 and don't want any trouble out of it, you'll love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker View Post
    I'm gonna throw in my .02 worth. I can say Paul and I have been there and got the t-shirt on this one. It's not about the species you target. It's about the conditions and environment you normally fish in. Do you fish big water like Ky or Barkley Lake, or do you fish smaller impoundments? Are you retired and have the luxury of fishing whatever days are good or are you a weekend fisherman at the mercy of Mother Nature? Do you fish any tournaments? I think the answers to these questions play a large part in deciding what kind of boat to buy. We bought a brand new War Eagle Predator with a 115 and loved it . . . . for a while. After several trips and a few tournaments on windy/bad weather days, the love affair was over. So, we sold a boat that we bought new and bought an 8 year old fiberglass Ranger. For us, it was the best decision . . . . even after the motor blew and we had to buy a new one.

One more thing . . . . What's the 20 ft aluminum boat rated for? Seems like it ought to be more than a 115. If it were me, I would want the max hp it's rated for.
    vonna, is on the button on this one. i fish only large ms coe's but retired and i pick my days, rarely on the weekends and only when the winds do not exceed 10-15mph. you have not live till you get caught on the big four with winds gusts of 20 and up.. I wouldn't own anything but a tin boat. i would for sure go with the largest motor for said boat and would go out of my way to get a 4 stroker. good luck, have fun, go fish, WS
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN
    Likes feeshrman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast