Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color C Lector - Really?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Color C Lector - Really?

After all these years I can't believe anglers need a device that dictates best colors to use. When it comes to soft plastics, there are easily a dozen or so colors that work all of the time in all waters (at least in the dozen or so waters I fish). The same goes for the barometer that tells an angler the best time to fish or what to expect before going out. I guess Barnum was right.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it doesn't tell you the "best color to use" ... in the sense of "what color the fish want to bite". It just tells you what colors are most visible at the depth of the probe.

I had one of the original Color-C-lector units ... and in all the waters I fished at that time, it mostly told me to fish blue/char, which was a color I was already using & catching fish on. I sold that one and later on bought the Combo-C-lector ... but never fully utilized it, and it eventually ended up in the dark confines of my "fishing equipment closet". The main reason was that it was (in my mind) just too time consuming to use.

I've always meant to take it along & "test" it ... not using it to tell me what colors to use, but to use the colors I choose (first) then when I catch fish on them ... check the unit to see if it agrees. I've just never remembered to include it in my equipment arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

And a year from now you will come back and say its the schnitts giggles and how do people live without. I dont have one but if a tool is available that gives a feller confidence and makes his fishing happier, so be it. What if you were pulled out of your comfort zone of lakes you frequent and were faced with dark tannin stained waters, crystal clear water, or chocolate milk and had no clue where to begin. It is simply another tool to use if ya got it.
    Likes "G", Kevin22, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have one and like Pappy I pretty much fish the same waters with the same colors that I know will work so I don't go to it much anymore. But with that said, I do not for a minute think it's a gimmick; I know from my previous experiences with it that it works. And if you consider the amount of research and work (over nine years) that Dr. Hill former director of the University of Oklahoma's Zoology Department and Biological Research Center put into developing this product, for me at least it is far from being under the "Barnum" umbrella.

The Color-C-LectorŽ shows which colors fish see best at any depth and degree of water clarity, allowing you to choose the correct color with confidence, regardless of species. Spike-It™ lure company has teamed up with Dr. Loren Hill to reintroduce the revolutionary color-selection tool he originally developed in the late 1980s. This new digital version has been completely re-engineered to give anglers a slimmer handheld unit that is much more user-friendly than the original mechanism. Dr. Hill's painstaking research is interfaced with digital technology to provide anglers with the best possible lure color for any fishing condition and any fish species. As the former director of the University of Oklahoma's Zoology Department and Biological Research Center, Hill spent more than nine years establishing a range of 26 colors that fish could distinguish best under different degrees of water clarity and varying levels of light penetration. The Color-C-LectorŽ is the result of that continuous and repeated scientific experimentation, reflecting actual responses of fish to color under all conditions an angler can possibly encounter. Use it to take the guesswork out of selecting the right lure color.
    Likes "D", Crestliner08, Rammer1961 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Knowledge is a wonderful thing. It's just takes wisdom to produce results.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    After all these years I can't believe anglers need a device that dictates best colors to use. When it comes to soft plastics, there are easily a dozen or so colors that work all of the time in all waters (at least in the dozen or so waters I fish). The same goes for the barometer that tells an angler the best time to fish or what to expect before going out. I guess Barnum was right.
    How many different colors do you make in those plastics you are always showing here? Why so many?

One of the nicest folks I ever met in the fishing industry was the late,great Tom Mann of Mann's Bait Company. I asked Tom why so many colors? He said few colors catch fish but lots of colors catch fishermen.

BTW, if you are just finding out about the Color-C-Lector you are only about 25 years behind. I bought mine when they 1st came out and in my mind it helped at times. I know it helped the economy from all the odd-ball colors in plastics I bought that worked a few times.

When you become so much of a purist you feel ready to give up the modern boats, tackle and electronics, check back in.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have the new one, Had the old one, they work
    Likes Lonnie84 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What is your stance on the flying lure?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes Cane Pole, huntinslabs LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a minner See Lector. Works good.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes huntinslabs, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the original or old Color C Lectors I liked it and it did help...I also have the new model and its even better. Evidently you fish clear waters where the fish can see all the colors. The Color C Lector is really more about light penetration at the depth you are fishing and it tells you what color are best seen by fish due to that.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes huntinslabs, Brad982, Rammer1961 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast