Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Possible bank fishing this weekend at Smithville Lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Possible bank fishing this weekend at Smithville Lake?

Hey guys, from the recent rain, I know the lake level has been increasing. Living 45mins away and finals for college this week, I haven't had the time to check it out. I plan to go this Friday but not sure if fishing is possible on the banks at the W bridges. I have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering and informing me. Still trying to figure Smithville Lake out and the ways around it.

1. Can bank fishing be possible this weekend for crappie?
    2. Where do crappie go when it comes to these type of situations? Are they deeper, closer to the bank and how does it affect the spawn? Do they stop spawning and move back out to the lake or continue trying to spawn?
    3. Southwest of the Lake on "Litton Way" is the dam, on the opposite side is the main lake. There is a long bridge/pillar building looking thing that that sticks out in the lake, what is that? Is fishing good there? I passed by it once and seen alot of people fishing under and next to it. Is that whole "Litton way" street a good place to fish?
    4. Anybody fish the handicap access point (18)? How is it there?
    5. Thanks for all helpful tips/advice and any other tips/advice! Much is appreciated. I'm going to try to get out there as much as I can this summer!
    Happy fishing and good luck folks!

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that might hurt this weekend is that they are running the spill way. So that will screw things up. I am going to attempt the dam tonight. Then hopefully get the boat out Friday morning for a little bit

Post Thanks / Like

Why the dam? Is it because of the fish that was washed down to the plate river? Where does the water and fish go? Or are you taking about fishing where that long cement building is in the water?

Post Thanks / Like

I think when you are talking about Litton Way, you must be on top of the dam....that is where that cement pillar is located. Fishing the dam is done by lots of people, but I think you have to keep moving until you find a school of decent size fish. Below the dam is the spillway and lots of people fish there, as well, but I don't know what they are trying to catch. Here is a link to Smithville lake info from the Corps of Engineers. I checked for May 2 and 3, and there is only NORMAL outflow....this means they are NOT dropping the water level at this time, and I believe they won't drop it until after the spawn, or when the next big rain comes. Water temps are hitting the upper 60's, so fish should be getting busy. I can't tell you where to fish....heck I can't find any myself! But I think checking for fish at different depths, and at different distances from the bank should help you find and catch some fish.
    Likes MustangJimmy816 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just got home from the dam. Came home with 4 crappie and 4 white bass. Fished from 8-10. Got good right at dark. Just going through a bunch of little ones

Post Thanks / Like

Also to add. 3 out of 4 were females tonight. North end of dam. Any where from 3-6 feet down under slip bobber. Didn't really mater on color.

Post Thanks / Like

Today the COE website says the outflow is at 600 cfs.....up from 8 cfs yesterday and the day before. That's a big release, and will probably make the fish back off again