Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Truman Lake advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman Lake advice

Hey everyone, pretty new here. And pretty new to crappie fishing. I'm active duty AF and I'm from Maine. So far, fishing back home is WAY different than it is here in MO. I've been in Missouri for three years this fall. I bought a boat last summer, but didn't end up getting out much due to having a new born and a deployment that was coming up (currently where I am at). I'll be home late this summer and I'm really looking to get out on the lake when I get home, before we get too far into deer season. I'll be looking at fishing Truman Lake above the dam, probably putting in at the Thibaut boat ramp. I'd really like to try my luck at some crappie and I'm looking for advice on how to fish them late in the summer. Are they going to be in deep holes? Running banks? From what I see, small jig heads and small tubes or grubs seem to be the lures of choice. As far as artificial goes, are there any others I should be trying? I've got a friend at work that does a lot of crappie fishing, but he only fishes at night with minnows. While I will probably get out a few times at night, it wont be the primary time that I will be fishing. Anyways, any advice I could get as far as terrain to look for and baits to throw would be great. If I am way off in any way here, just let me know.

Thanks!
    Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tucker, first off, A big thanks for your service to this great country, Without you guys and gals serving, things may be different and there wont be any fishing or hunting or any other freedom we enjoy.
    Next, I'm no expert, but will share what I know about summer fishing on Truman. There are many ways to catch them, some like to tie up along the bluffs or deep standing timber and dunk minnows. Others like myself, like to move around and use a 10 foot dipping rod, and look for likely targets on the main lake flats, or channel edges, or brush piles.
    I like to fish generally 10 foot down. I like fishing hedge, or ceder trees, and pole trees. You can find fish very shallow in the summers as well. Best advise, go fishing, when you catch fish, go look for duplicate structure elsewhere on the lake in similar depth of water. I like to find out of the way stuff that is isolated. Best of luck!
    Most of my money is spent on fishing, fishing tackle and boats, the rest is wasted.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hit us up when you get back and we can point you in the right direction or even get out with you and show you around. The lower end of the lake you are asking about fishes a lot different than the upper end where I like to fish. Down on the dam end of the lake they fish a lot of deep brush piles "20-'40'" in summer and fall. I fish less than 10' of water all summer and fall and really like the 4-8' depth on the flats. I can cover more water by fishing shallow and look for the more active fish and generally bigger fish also. I use a 10' rod and dip large jigs most of time. 99% of my fish are caught about 8"-12" off the bottom. So I drop it to the bottom and raise it up to that depth and hold it or shake it for 10-15 seconds and then move to the next tree/stump. I prefer fishing hedge/bodart trees because they have multiple limbs on them. Maybe you can make it to fall camp and meet some of the gang and we can show you around a little.
    Likes Hookin'&Cookin' LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the same patterns a way Jigging does. And would welcome you to share my boat anytime I'm up there so you can learn your way around. It's a very productive lake with many ways of fishing it so try different ways and styles and pick your favorite then get after it.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    Likes crappiehawg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Winmag, that is great advice and a generous offer from 2 guys that really know how to put fish in the boat on Truman! I don't know the lake like they do, but if you make it to fall camp I'll be glad to show you around as well. Thank you for your service!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone, thanks for all of the help and offers to take me fishing and show me the ways of crappie fishing. I'd be happy to get to meet any of you guys and get out on the water. It seems like you guys don't have any trouble hooking fish in the shallow/warmer water. Fishing cover in the shallows is something I think I could figure out. I've never done much fishing in the way of looking for holes or old submerged creek beds like I have been reading about. The best thing is probably to just get and explore a bit like you said.

What is fall camp?

Thanks for all the support on my service. I'm proud to do what I do, and the added support just makes it better.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the off topic section and there will be some post of pics from spring camp we had last week and weekend. It's a big get together of members on here and usually have a BBQ Friday evening and a fish fry on Saturday evening. Some come for the day and some for the whole week. Great place to meet a great group of guys and gals that love to crappie fish. Always some great info to be had also from guys that fish the lake all the time. We have members from several states that come join in. So can pick up some tips on how they catch them on their lakes and rivers also.