Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardboard crappie condo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cardboard crappie condo

This morning it was a lot warmer than it has been lately, so decided to make a free-standing cardboard crappie condo. (low-rent crappie!)

The dimensions are 9" by 12" by 6" tall. The weight using 150#/cubic foot would be (if exact dimensions were used, and no bowing (bad assumption) of the box occurred) about 56 pounds. Then you have the voids in the concrete from the material to take away from the theoretical computed weight. I also added some more rocks along the bottom edges so as to use less concrete and add more weight. This added more weight. I used one 40# bag of sakrete and would guess the total attractor weighs slightly over 50 pounds.

Using the cardboard box allowed me to place plastic conduit horizontally in the base through the cardboard to hopefully keep the attractor upright after I place it in the lake. This would be impossible if the concrete, etc. were placed in a dug-up-hole.
    I used electrical wiring as a lifting loop. Small holes were drilled in the conduit and PVC. Holes drilled in the conduit and PVC will give a greater bond to the concrete. Other holes in the exposed portions of the PVC and conduit will let water enter the material and to decrease the buoyancy.

Now all I have to do is wait about 7 days, get it down to the lake, strip off the cardboard and put it in the lake!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by CrappieHusker; 02-06-2007 at 02:17 PM.
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Husker you must have a great wife because mine would have been raising cane if I was out making condos when there was still snow in the driveway.

Thanks for the tip on the legs for condos. I cut some boo yesterday and am going to try it on the ones I make tonight. I hope it will help steady the condo when the flows on the Little Maumelle get moving. I would think that when those legs hit in that silty bottom they would really take hold and not let go.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats A Good Ideal ----don,t Know Why I Never Have Those Kinds Of Thoughts
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some nice condos!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Husker...Jack and i will help you put it out i just hope i remember my gps
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

i like that you have taken care of the stability by putting horizontal braces, i have to deal with that with my lake. thanks for showing that to us that have to contend with bodies of water with a small amount of current, those trees will be nice for years.
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! I use old tomato baskets. I put my stakes in and hold them and then pour in the sack crete. I never thought about boxes. Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up some copy paper boxes from the office. I think I will be able to make some shortys (2 to 3 ft) in the box top, and some mid range (5 to 7 ft) with the bottom. Plan to use the cross brace but modify it. I am going to stick 2, 5ft peices facing the same direction. When I sink em I will make sure they sink so the brace is providing some strength from the occasional strong current.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Good idea ......

and I can get all the fax paper boxes I'd ever want, from work. (and not have to purchase plastic pans, or seek out 5gal buckets) The PVC is not a problem, and I already have the 'crete'. :D

I am wondering about one thing, though ....
    I suspect that you guys are not picking up these 50, 60 pound condos .. and slinging them out of the boat, into the lake. :D SO, my question is ... with those condos that have the "brace legs" ... how exactly do you get them over the side of the boat ? My concern would be breaking the PVC legs ... or are they tough enough to not worry about that, or do they bend/flex enough to allow them to be pushed over the gunnels ?

Another factor I'm interested in ... how do you keep the concrete base from scratching the heck out of the boat ?? Do you use a 12" wide board to slide them off .... carpet remnant ?? ... or what ??

I'm a novice at this condo stuff (I'm sure it shows :rolleyes: ) ... so I'm not only asking for my own benefit, but for others that might want to try this, but are unsure of potential damage to the boat (or the condo) if not done correctly.

Good discussion, on a popular subject .... keep up the good work, and information flow !! .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

the only thing I have noticed that's a draw back, is the legs grab everything...You can't just toss them out of the boat...When you load the boat down, it can be a real pain to get one out with 3 others sittin on it's feet. The "feet" are PVC and are flex and will give, but dang they grab your fish finder, your drill, your shirt, anything they can. I got another way to do it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast