Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawning Question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawning Question.

Crappie spawn for two weeks, right? I will be on leave for three days than shall work six days in a row and I am trying to catch the spawn. I fish from the bank or docks. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

might be 2 months this year if they do spawn??

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught males colored up and on the banks making nests in the first week of April. I've also caught males colored up in 2-3 foot of water the first week of June. So by those numbers more like 2 weeks. The best time to be out is when the water level and weather have been consistent for about 4-5 days. Good luck finding that this year though. I'll be focusing my attention to getting on them later in the month along with the walleye. Fish can and will be caught with these high levels but will be hit and miss. Don't expect to go out and get your limit of 50 in the afternoon. As for the timing the main driver is the amount of daylight. I've read somewhere that they spawn best when the amount of sunlight is between 13.2 hours and 14.7 hours?? 'm not sure if those are the exact numbers but close anyway. Hitting the spawn just right is tough. Out of the month plus it lasts there's only going to be a handful of days that are just really good the kind of days you tell your grand kids about if you know what I mean.
    Likes sooners08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest things I see people miss in the spawn is they keep using the word shallow. We mostly fish spawning beds in 7 to 12 ft of water, those fish are on the bed for close to a full month when they start. Don't be afraid to go fish deeper. Crappie spawn all the way out to 15ft deep but really love that 7 to 10 ft range.
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

Well put Duckman. I've always said the same thing to others.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your statement duckman I've had some killer days in 8' of water. I just really enjoy pulling them out of lay downs in 1-2' of colored water but you can't do that at every lake.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Likes sooners08 LIKED above post