Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - I need help with Yamaha/Nissan decision

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help - I need help with Yamaha/Nissan decision

Hey guys, I am fairly new to the forum, but I think its great. I need help. I am pricing new motors and I would like to hear the pros and cons of the Yamaha 90-115 2 stroke vs. the Nissan 90-120 2 stroke. I have a local dealer for each fairly close by. I have found some really good deals on both. I don't want to spend the money to go up to the etec or tldi. I will put the motor on an 18/72 F & F. I would like all pros/cons possible.
    Thanks
    rushcreekoutdoor

Post Thanks / Like

I have had 3 yamma hammers. Love them. The first one was a 85 hp. Kept it 8 years with no problems. 2nd one was a 90 hp. Now I am on my third one, a 130 hp. All 2 strokes. No problems. My next one will be a 4 stroke.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

I ran a '89 model Nissan 90 2 stroke from '91 till about '95...
    it was a little cold natured in the mornings, but all in all, a great motor.
    never gave any trouble, and would fly - as I remember, it was one of the
    lighter 90 motors, about 280 lbs. It had oil injection, and it always worked
    fine.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, keep it coming. Has anyone owned both and had a preference???

By the way, when my schedule breaks, beware Reelfoot crappie.

Thanks
    rushcreekoutdoor

only Jesus saves!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have a bad taste from yamaha from when I was younger. My dad had a yamaha 25 that would break down EVERY time we took it out. Now that was years ago ('80's) and I am sure they are alot better now. I have always heard that the bigger motors were better on yamahas than there smaller motors.

One of the problems with the 25 yamaha that we had was that if you didn't run the gas completely out then a film from the gas would form on the pin in the carberautor and you were not going to get it started without tearing the carb down and cleaning that pin.

I have a 25 Tohatsu (same thing as nissian) but can't give you a fair comparison on it b/c I have only ran it a couple of times. It is a 2003 and I have never had a problem cranking it though. Always cranks on 2nd or 3rd crank.

I do know of a couple of guys that have 25 yamahas that are later models and they love them.

I have always been a 2 stroke fan b/c I fish the marsh but if all you are fishing is open water, I would strongly recommend considering the 4 stroke b/c the gas you are going to save is going to be well worth it.

Good Luck in your decision.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

The Jiggler Guest

Default The Jiggler

I have a 50 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. Haven't had one problem with it. I have it on the back of a G3 Angler V167. Instead of drinking gas, I believe it sips
    it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1991 15 hp Yamaha that starts 1st pull every time.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 1992 Yamaha 85hp and a 2000 Nissan 40hp. Both are very well built motors. Not a problem out of either. I've owned the Yamaha for 5 years and the Nissan for 3. I got them both used but if I were buying either brand new I would go with the less expensive of the 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

rick

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 07' 90 2stroke Yamaha two weeks ago. I have not run it much...I am in the break in period but it starts up very good. When I talked to the dealer about how strict the break in process was he told me what to do to get the best life out of the motor. I asked him about Yamahas warranty on the motors and he said they are the best at taking care of any problem within the warranty period. Don't know if that helps much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast