Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr crappie reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr crappie reels

Good afternoon all. I have been satisfied with me crappie line, that I was interested in the reels. The only problem is when I picked one up at academy I had no idea how to work it. The ones I'm speaking of are the mr crappie solo or possibly the crappie jig reel. Do you unreel it and use it like that? How do you cast it?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You "don't" cast with them .... they're primarily vertical jigging/dipping reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW7xJUVfcig

Post Thanks / Like

Oh okay well that makes sense. So in a nutshell, it works like a cane pole set up, except if you get a bite it can take off with it depending on the drag and you can reel it in?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mquast200 View Post
    Oh okay well that makes sense. So in a nutshell, it works like a cane pole set up, except if you get a bite it can take off with it depending on the drag and you can reel it in?
    It has an anti-reverse/drag, so you "can" set it to not allow line to be pulled out by the fish. I'm assuming that's what Wally is referring to when he says the reel has a "one way clutch".

All I know about them, I've found on the You Tube videos with Mr Crappie talking about them or Whitey Outlaw fishing with one.

Post Thanks / Like

So from what you have seen, do you just in spool a set amount of Line and just vertical jig it? I love the design I just wish there were videos of someone actually using it instead of the ones I've seen of Wally on YouTube. They are great for some information but to someone who is knew to the world of jiggin' , watching it in action is a little better.

Post Thanks / Like

You can set the tension on the on the clutch with the knob on the side of the reel. I have two of these reels and use them for vertical jigging in depths of 15' or less. If I'm fishing much deeper than that it gets to be a pain pulling line off the reel. I do like how light the reel is and I normally just land the fish without reeling in line. I just raise the rod and take up line between the reel and the first eye on the rod if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I reccomend getting a small spinning reel over these type reels. All the features are better. Especially drag. I also like when vertical jigging at a set depth to lock my line in the line holder on spinning reel spools to get back to exact depth.

Post Thanks / Like

it works like a fly rod you cant cast for the most part .....quite popular with the dock anglers in these parts
    great for depth control ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 of them, they are a line holder with drag. The drag works surprisingly well. Like Low Rider I don't like them for much over the length of the rod for line out. They work as good as any spinning reel or underspin I have used for jig fishing. Just a little slow on reeling up line but no big deal.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

all of the above are true..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast