Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default First boat

Well, i think i am getting my first boat ! I have decided to pursue Crappie on a more serious level ! I have bank fished my whole life ( i am 40) but have decided to get a boat. I am trying out a Bass Tracker TX-17 with a 60 hp Mercury that my neighbors dad has. Will mainly be fishing Watts Bar and Chicamauga lakes. Just wanted to share and get thoughts/concerns. 
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you will surely enjoy it. Congratulations!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tncrappieman View Post
    Well, i think i am getting my first boat ! I have decided to pursue Crappie on a more serious level ! I have bank fished my whole life ( i am 40) but have decided to get a boat. I am trying out a Bass Tracker TX-17 with a 60 hp Mercury that my neighbors dad has. Will mainly be fishing Watts Bar and Chicamauga lakes. Just wanted to share and get thoughts/concerns. 
    Fished Watts Bar for many years out of my partner's (1980's model) TX17 w/50hp Merc ... and it served us well. My major concern with "his" was there was only space for one battery to run TM & big motor. One other "nuisance" problem was that it was a flat bottom and therefore was "tippy" (to the front angler) if the angler in the back moved around much. That problem was solved by getting an offset seat pole for the front seat, so the front angler could adjust his position to counteract the tilt caused by the back seat angler's weight shift (from changing sides of the boat he was fishing off of).

As with any boat that doesn't sit deep in the water, it's subject to being blown around by any appreciable amount of wind .... but, it also affords you less drag when using a trolling motor with minimal pound thrust (<40).

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boats. Especially if it is the newer ones with revolution hull. All mentioned troubles are null and void. Very solid and stable boats.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be sure to get enough thrust on the trolling motor and buy as much big motor as you are able to afford. Saves you money in the long run. If you aren't happy you will just be looking to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tncrappieman View Post
    Well, i think i am getting my first boat ! I have decided to pursue Crappie on a more serious level ! I have bank fished my whole life ( i am 40) but have decided to get a boat. I am trying out a Bass Tracker TX-17 with a 60 hp Mercury that my neighbors dad has. Will mainly be fishing Watts Bar and Chicamauga lakes. Just wanted to share and get thoughts/concerns.*
    My first "Real" boat after two small jon boats was a 17.5' Bass Ttracker. I loved that boat. I have always regretted that I did not haul in to Alabama when I moved from Ohio. I have fished Douglas and Watts Bar a few times whenever I visited my dad in Knoxville. Percy Priest Lake isn't too bad either. You also will love the Bass Tracker. Catch a few crappies for me and introduce them into Lake Crisco.

Name:  Mike_s_Tracker.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  23.3 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes "D", msmith1911 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my first boat about 10 years ago,a Tracker Pro Crappie 175 and have never regretted it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, here she is !! Name:  0504161937_resized.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  42.5 KB
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Without a boat 3/4's of the earths surface is wasted space.

You can always trade up...trade down...buy another have two...or three...and a canoe...and a yak...and a dingy...and a sailboat...and a pontoon....and a pirogue... and a house boat...and a .....

Whatever you have just always take care of it...keep it in good working order...and learn to use it to it's best capabilities and know it's limitations.

If it all it works and you smile and tell fish stories when a prospective buyer is looking at it..it will sell and you can move on if your so inclined.

That stuff about the happiest two days of boat ownership is the day you buy it and the day you sell it is horses%#* .....unless maybe if you get a really bad one LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast