Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small lake

Hello everyone. I currently fish a 136 acre lake that has a fair share of good size crappie. Problem is I'm stuck bank fishing. I do well during the spawn but any time they go deeper I can't reach them. Not a lot of bank areas to fish from. Any tips?

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site.

Canoes or kayaks can be very rewarding to own and fish out of. Check out this link for ideas

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kayak...ll-watercraft/
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes dvuks LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you can locate brush at 10-17' deep that is in casting distance for you, you might be able to fish over it with a slip bobber setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you are going through. I fish a lake similar to yours occasionally as well. About the best you can do is to think about "timing". Some times crappie move in to the shallows, or within casting range. The bite will get hot & heavy for an hour or so....then they seem to vanish! Not really....they are just moving out of range of your offerings. Keep a log. Crappie are very predictable. When you can hit them well, make note of that time of day, water temp and seasonal period. After a season or two, you'll be able to pattern them a lot more consistently. Good Luck!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crack of dawn, be there ... and on the bank that has shade the longest after sunrise. (especially as the water/weather warms)

Fish any large blowdown tree ... better if it has a few large branches and isn't all main trunk ... even better if it happened to fall on a deep water bank.

Just remember that Crappie like shade and wood ... and apply that to the situation you're facing at the lake you fish. And as always, be stealthy (walk gently) and be safe (wear a PFD).
    Likes chaunc, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I second the kayak but will also say waders may help at times. Be careful and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Looking into the kayak option. I have an aluminum canoe but it's a little unwieldy for one person.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have a canoe and bought a kayak dolly to move it around and it made things a lot easier. $30 to $40 on ebay. Aluminum foldup. Works good.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around