Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sharpening Blades

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sharpening Blades

Is it possible to sharpen the blades on a hand auger & if so how is it done. And where is the best place to buy blades or get blades sharpened ??? We finely got good ice for a change about 8-10 in. Haven't caught very many but sure am haveing fun trying. Thanks for the info Jim C

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a good sharpener here http://www.thornebros.com/winter/aug...sharpener.html or you can do a Auger Blade Exchange here http://www.fish307.com/index.asp?Pag...S&Category=698 . Hope this helps .
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jim C- where are you, that sounds like good ice for sure. The place we had been fishing isnt safe right now, fished their a couple sundays ago and had 4 to 5 1/2 " of good ice, after the snow last week it went to about 3". We thought it would be thicker than ever, the snow must have insulated it and melted from the bottom up. We just fished ponds on saturday and found 8 to 11" of ice. We caught bass, bluegill, and some crappie, all and all a good day. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

North east Kansas we don't get ice like this very often . When we do you have to learn all over again how & where to fish. Mostly farm ponds & a State lake not far from the house. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever try that sharpener that is listed in the above post? Sounds like a great deal if it works. New blades for my Mora are almost $20. now. Just had them sharpened at a saw shop for $6.

Post Thanks / Like

I use that sharpener all the time.I have had the same blades on my auger for 3 years now.The least amount holes I drill is 20 on any given day and I'll ice fish 4 day's a week or more.It only takes a few strokes across the blades and your good to go.If your using a blue Mora Auger,I would seriously consider up grading to a black Lazer Auger.You can drill 10 times the holes in quarter the amount of time.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!