Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Discovered something: why take along a trolling motor & battery on a small lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Discovered something: why take along a trolling motor & battery on a small lake?

The last few times I've rowed my 10' boat to conserve battery power and found that I can move that boat at a #3 trolling motor speed with little effort and loaded with trolling motor and battery on board to boot!

Since I needed to fish two lakes today and the wind was under 10 MPH, I figured, why bother hauling around the battery and trolling motor? As far as the fish finder, I really didn't need itfor depth having fished these waters a dozen times. If I need to bring it next time, I'll use a small motor cycle battery.

When the wind came up, I just lowered the 10lb anchor to hold position.

Between the two waters, I caught around 100 fish of mixed species and including some nice crappie and perch and covered a lot of territory when needed. The last lake I anchored in two spots for 3 hours combined and caught fish after fish. So much for needing to take a trolling motor, battery and sonar!

(See my post today which lures did great)

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my best fishing memories were in a row boat.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

And you get some exercise to boot!

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look into a kayak. You can move very easy and some have anchors just for kayaks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like that worked out well for ya, me personally if I was going to out for for or five hours would go ahead and pack mine along just in case the wind snuck up on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Another advantage will be going deep into weed beds to find pockets. So far I've stayed in the main channel for pan fish, but I'm now looking at packing bass gear since the pads are getting bigger.

Kayaks are great - for those that don't have back problems. But much of my fishing is done standing. Another is, when the anchored boat swings in the wind, I can keep turning toward the cast area while standing, which is also better when fighting fish in the weeds. I stand fishing from the bow of my bass boat but until the bent trailer axle is replaced, I have to use the row boat which works out just as well with more than enough room for everything I usually take on an outing.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 04-29-2016 at 04:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boh View Post
    And you get some exercise to boot!

I thought that was what you got when you turned the key.
    FISH ON
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you go that route, just remember to use the other hand to turn the key for the return trip. That will even out the exercise for both arms
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL