Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what line weight do you use for jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default what line weight do you use for jigs

I'm talking about casting and retrieving classic crappie jigs
    I would think 8 lb test stren or trilene xl would be as high as you would want to go?
    For fishing under a bobber I would think 6 pound.
    What do you actually use?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's all relative to what kind of area you fish, water clarity, obstructions, that sort of thing. In your area that's probably fine, up here in some areas you'd never land a fish. I use 12/2 braid mostly for that kind of fishing in Buck brush, stump beds trees that sort of stuff.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes avidone1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Suffix 6lb high visibility yellow for everything. Definately enough for crappie in my opinion but im fishing floats and pitching jigs around trees. I could probably drop to 4 lb without any issues. If your fishing heavy brush youd probably want something like what cray uses.

Spider rigging, pushing cranks.....inhave no idea Never done it.
    Likes avidone1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Depends solely on the water and type of cover you are fishing. I'd go as light as possible in order to give you the greatest casting distance. Same for float fishing. However, consider a braid for your main line, vs. mono. It will increase your casting distance as well as your sensitivity to bites. Using a fluorocarbon leader will enhanse abrasion resistance, as well as reduced visibility, if that is a concern in your waters.

I do not fish snaggy/brush infested waters. I'm not fishing trees or cribs. Strictly open water here with some shoreline weeds. Water here is relatively clear as well. Consequently, I use 2# test Fireline Crystal with a four foot, 4# test fluorocarbon leader, joined with an Alberto knot. Been using this combination for many years now, quite successfully I might add. This may not work in your case, especially if you have snags to contend with. But I assure you, this combination will take big fish as well as many crappie, perch & gills. This picture is from last weekend:

Name:  Rainbow.jpg
Views: 3119
Size:  146.8 KB
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes avidone1, BoarBuster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

4 lb test.
    I even fish down trees allot. I rarely loose a fish due to line. I usually miss fish on a hook set or they just pop off hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    4 lb test.
    I even fish down trees allot. I rarely loose a fish due to line. I usually miss fish on a hook set or they just pop off hook.
    I was expecting more answers like this one. I guess crappie are not especially line shy but as a rule of thumb the lighter the better??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    4 lb test.
    This ^^^^^^

Also, remember that most lines are stronger than what the package says. The typical 4# line will break at around 6# of pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

4lb Trilene XL

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest you can get away with, I use 4lb and 6lb.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4lb and 6 lb Vicious Panfish high vis casting and shooting docks. I have to drag fish over cables and chains and out of holes around boat lifts, very rarely break a fish of. Sometimes have a hard time breaking the line when I get hung up on something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast