Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: BROKE DOWN TODAY!

Post Thanks / Like

Default BROKE DOWN TODAY!

Well, fishing was AWESOME, and then frustration took over. I have a Motorguide Brute 767 trolling motor, and for some reason, when I push the pedal slow, the shaft will move correctly. When I push it fast, the arrow on top of the "head" will move, but the shaft and motor are inconsistent...sometimes swiveling as it should, sometimes not.
    I haven't torn into it yet, but any clue as to what it could be? I don't think it is anything big, as the swivel of the motor is tension controlled, and not electric. I figure it is some little nylon gear that is stripped out, or something of this sort.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and rewarded with the pleasure of knowing that you helped get my 11 year old and my 7 year old back on the water to get some more. It was almost a HUGE issue. I launched my boat, and my 11 year old (as she has for the past 5 years), sits on the front of the boat, drops the trolling motor, and gets it to the dock. This evening, I watched helpless as she was crying for help, my 7 year old was scared, and I couldn't do anything about it because it wasn't working properly, and I was on the dock. There was another boat of three anglers that wouldn't help, either. I thank God she is a smart girl, she gained her composure, pulled the troller up, and she started the big motor, and managed to get it in.

So, you all see my dilemma, and with as many people in this crappie community, someone has had this problem before.
    Thanks,

mrwillis

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help with motor ,but glad the kids came out of it fine . As far vas those three that would not help, their day will come .
    Likes varmithunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for Motorguide, however MinnKotas have a set of gears on the top to control direction. If they become disengaged you lose control. I suspect you may have a screw come loose allowing one of the gears to disengage. Be careful when you open it up, that screw may fall to the ground.

There are 350 million people in the US, you're bound to run into a few goof balls once in a while. Honestly, you should be proud of your daughter for thinking on her feet and finding a working solution. Some kids never learn to think for themselves. Encourage her new self confidence.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are some dummies in the world that would not help you out if your life depended on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any idea how to fix the motor but if you can edit your thread title to something about a trolling motor problem, you will get more help. You have a very specific need there. Best of luck on it. BTW, the problem with the 'runaway' boat with no captain is a lesson for all, that could've been even more scary if she had not been able to get it cranked. So, a rope might be a better solution. Glad she got it cranked.
    ~~~
    Bill
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Motorguide digital 24 and also had a similar problem a few weeks ago. A screw came loose that held one of the gears. Once I tightened it down everything was ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    I don't have any idea how to fix the motor but if you can edit your thread title to something about a trolling motor problem, you will get more help. You have a very specific need there. Best of luck on it. BTW, the problem with the 'runaway' boat with no captain is a lesson for all, that could've been even more scary if she had not been able to get it cranked. So, a rope might be a better solution. Glad she got it cranked.
    I understand your "no captain" comment, but the "co-captain" was on there. She's been my fishing partner since she was two. Her favorite part is running the troller while we fish, and she's been launching for about 5 years. It's her thing. Putting a rope on it would take some of her purpose away. It was just a fluke thing that happened with the troller. Name:  IMG_20150731_084342342.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  26.5 KBName:  IMG_20150731_084342342.jpg
Size:  26.5 KBName:  IMG_20150731_084342342.jpg
Size:  26.5 KB
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It probably has A tooth missing on center controll gear. Take cover off and inspect gears and wire to make sure they look fine. I have had wire get in between gears and not let it turn. Parts can be bought at boats dot net.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis View Post
    I understand your "no captain" comment, but the "co-captain" was on there. She's been my fishing partner since she was two. Her favorite part is running the troller while we fish, and she's been launching for about 5 years. It's her thing. Putting a rope on it would take some of her purpose away. It was just a fluke thing that happened with the troller
    I agree with you mrwillis.....she is having fun, learning fishing skills, taking on responsibilities, and handling emergencies.....all valuable life lessons for an 11 yo! Props to you both!