Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dale Hollow Float-N-Fly Warriors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dale Hollow Float-N-Fly Warriors

If you want it to snow, just plan a smallmouth trip to Dale Hollow in February. I've done it three times in the last couple of years... it has snowed everytime. But this time we had snow AND wind. Aren't we lucky! Saturday came bright and beautiful... that's not what you want for float-n-fly smallmouth. About an hour after daylight the wind began... and then grew, and grew, and grew! It was a solid 15-20 with higher gusts. I knew it was coming but really thought we could find some good places to hide in the Dale Hollow hollows. Instead I learned that each one of those hollows serves as it's own little wind tunnel, funneling the wind wherever you go. When we woke up Sunday it was snowing... hard. An inch on the ground and still coming. 23 degrees and the wind had already started. I had to sacrifice the hot coffee in my thermos to thaw out my steering cable which was frozen solid. I've hunted and fished in a lot of raw conditions in my many decades.... not many were tougher than Sunday morning. HOWEVER, it was also beautiful. For just a few minutes in the AM the wind laid down and it was so quiet on the lake you could hear the snowflakes. One of the "outdoor moments" you live for. Now to the fish... between raw weather conditions and being novice "float-n-flyers," it was tough. Saturday me and Ed McCoy boated four smallmouths...most 2-3 lbs. but anchored by a 4.8 lb. fish. Our three friends (in another boat), far more experienced float-n-flyers had 8 smallmouth, 2 spots and a 4 lb. trout (but I still had big fish <grin>) Sunday (in the snow, winds and bitter temps) me and Ed managed one spot, one largemouth and one smallmouth... nothing special size-wise, but they were all special considering the weather conditions we caught them in. Our friends only managed one small trout. It was a great road trip... "memorable" weather, good friends, the folks at Horse Creek Resort http://www.horsecreek-resort.com sure were good to us and just enough brown fish to make you want to go back. Here's few pics:

A "typical float-n-fly Dale Hollow smallmouth

"Big fish of the trip" displayed by my Outdoor Writer friend Larry Self from Greenville, TN

Ed McCoy fishing in a winter wonderland... toughin' it out in drivin' snow

Lo and behold, there are a few largemouth on Dale Hollow
    Last edited by rsimms; 02-06-2007 at 07:49 AM.
    Richard Simms
    Editor, CrappieNOW

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics and report. I was down the weekend before this and it snowed on us on Sunday and also was windy. We only caught 3 that weekend with no size. We have had a tough winter on the holler so far. Hope to get back down in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice storie and pics and welcome to the site. Those are the days you take a slow boat ride!

Wood Guest

Yall is sho nuf dyed in the wool, true, blue blooded,got lot more guts than me,crappie fishing men.

Post Thanks / Like

There's something about those day's on the water with the snow that seem to stick with you...nice story and pics.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie