Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushing Jigs and Cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing Jigs and Cranks

Sorry so wordy, but I have questions. LOL This site is great for it's knowledge.

I have 8 of the BnM PST rods that I use for longlining/pushing jigs. I sit up front and use 2 rods on each side for longlining out the back and 4 rods pushing jigs out the front. So far, I have done fairly well doing this. I have an Ulterra trolling motor and found that it sure is a lot easier to control the boat path/depth being up front than out of the back of the boat. I can do it out of the back longlining but I seem to get a lot more hang ups. It is much easier to run up shallow versus controlling the boat from up front. I think I caught more from the back than pushing up front but I just got started pushing jigs this year so the jury is still out. I do like it better.

Do you think you catch less up front pushing jigs than longlining out the back of the boat? I also use 3/4oz weights to push the jigs. I am thinking about trying some 1oz next weekend. What is best weight for pushing jigs? I also stay at 8mph. What is the best speed for pushing jigs?

I done pretty well with cranks last summer out the back of the boat but for the same reason as jigs, I am now considering to start pushing crankbaits out the front. I haven't got the huge weights yet to try it. I am sure there are some people on here that push cranks from the front so I have a couple of questions:

1. Will pushing cranks out front work with 14' BnM PST trolling rods?
    2. What is the best speed for pushing cranks out front?
    3. What is the best sinker weight/shape to use pushing cranks and where is the best place to buy these huge weights?
    4. What is the best line (mono or braid) and lb test for pushing cranks? I have been using 15lb Power Pole Braid on my jig pushing. I want to use the same rods/set up for pushing cranks and jigs but not sure it would work as well with the large weight and cranks.
    5. What is average depth for pushing cranks? I have lots of the Arkie 350 cranks that I did well with last year. Mostly fished them in 14'-20'. What is the minimum depth you push cranks in?

Post Thanks / Like

I do all the above but I'm new at it also so I don't have much experience but can't wait to hear some of these guys answers. I've been pushing the small Arkie cranks off the front with a 2 oz weight from .9 to 1.2 mph. I push jigs with 3/4 oz. using 2 of the Arkie 2.5" curly tails around .5 to 1 mph.
    Mike Barnett
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I push cranks at same speed I pull cranks with 1.8 mph.....I use BnM PST rods and 10 lb. High vis mono. I use three oz. trolling weights to push with....three ft. ahead of crankbait. A lot of times I pull and push at same time. When pulling crank baits I do not use any weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Will 14 foot pst work? Yes. I use 10 foot and 12 foot pst up front and thinking about going 12 and 14 foot instead of 10 and 12 foot. I pull with 8, 10,12, and 14 foot on each side for a total of pulling 8 poles and pushing 4 poles.

What type of braid? anything with a 10 lb diameter.

What speed? Varies. I found running from 1.5 mph to 1.8 mph. let the fish tell you what speed.

What trolling weight? Ive tried 4 oz and 3 oz. I prefer 3 oz with 3 foot leader.

What crank baits? I prefer pushing bandit 200's and similar size arkies. I've used other bass cranks also. I pull bandit 300's and similar size crankbaits. some days i end up throwing everything in the boat at them.

What depth? whether I'm pulling cranks, pushing cranks, or long lining jigs, i watch my graphs and see what depth the fish are and match it.

Remember, what works for one guys boat will not work on yours and visa versa. The design of the boat and the location/type rod holders effect this.

Hope this helps. The best advise is to keep lures in the water and push forward. Experience cannot be replaced.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pulling depth chart for Arkie 350sName:  uploadfromtaptalk1461708799629.jpg
Views: 4519
Size:  18.1 KB

PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Pushing depth chart Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1461708882255.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  21.9 KB

PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Gives me a good starting point.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take those same rig's used for pushing cranks and put a couple of 1/8 or 1/4 oz pony heads on there and push them just like the cranks. Speed from .7 to 1.5.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes crp4570, ShilohRed LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Take those same rig's used for pushing cranks and put a couple of 1/8 or 1/4 oz pony heads on there and push them just like the cranks. Speed from .7 to 1.5.
    Are you saying to use the 3 oz. trolling sinkers with the pony head jigs or just the jigs and no extra weight?
    It is what it is!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abu65 View Post
    Are you saying to use the 3 oz. trolling sinkers with the pony head jigs or just the jigs and no extra weight?
    Use the trolling sinkers plus the jigs and use the higher speeds you would pushing cranks.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Abu65, GTDFisherman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast