Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air pump?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Air pump?

Do any of you all run a 110V air pump with an inverter? I've been looking at the bubbles 110v commercial air pump but I can't find anywhere the amount of current draw for the unit. So I have no idea how to size the unit. I also would like to know if I install it in the back of an 18' boat would I have enough air flow if I ran a tube to the front?
    It is what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 12 volt bubbles aerator in my boat hooked up to my starting battery. It has two hoses and I use 2 - 5 gal. buckets with styrofoam liners and it keeps minnows alive all day for me and my wife I have one bucket in the front and one in the back so we don't have to bother each other getting minnows from one bucket. I have had this one unit for several years now with no problems.

https://grizzlyjig.com/p-250-power-bubbles.aspx
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Abu65, blueball LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    I run a 12 volt bubbles aerator in my boat hooked up to my starting battery. It has two hoses and I use 2 - 5 gal. buckets with styrofoam liners and it keeps minnows alive all day for me and my wife I have one bucket in the front and one in the back so we don't have to bother each other getting minnows from one bucket. I have had this one unit for several years now with no problems.

https://grizzlyjig.com/p-250-power-bubbles.aspx
    I have the same thing in my boat.....been useing it for over five years now.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Abu65, scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I run both, inverter in the front with both lines tied together for my minners and the 12v bubbler in the livewell with both lines tied together. The inverter is handy for cell phone charging and stuff too.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes Abu65 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Rees Guide do you know what size inverter you have? I'm think of going this route so when I'm on a trip etc. I can just plug my inverter in with my battery charger so I'm not drawing on my battery while I'm charging. They may not be an issue, however it is on my mind.
    It is what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Have to look in the morning
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes Abu65 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably going to step on a few toe's here. But this is something that bothers me every time I see one of these posts. This is just my opinion and take it for what it is worth to you. 110 inverters have no place in a boat where there is the potential for electrical shock. Especially where it has a path into a water source where you are going to be putting your hands. Yes a bunch of guys have done it for a long time and nothing has happened but when the potential is there at some point I'm afraid we will read a post where one of our family members on here had a accident with this. The few dollars it cost for one like Scrat posted verses a cheap 110 pump and inverter is not worth it in my opinion. Having one to charge a phone is a total nother animal.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abu65 View Post
    Rees Guide do you know what size inverter you have? I'm think of going this route so when I'm on a trip etc. I can just plug my inverter in with my battery charger so I'm not drawing on my battery while I'm charging. They may not be an issue, however it is on my mind.
    In your case the 12 volt bubbler draws so litlle juice that charger will keep battery charged while running bubbler. More than sufficient. I run mine anytime I'm at cabins or camp ground and never had a problem. If your worried about that get a 5.00 pump and a dual outlet plug to fit into extension cord. That you plug charger into.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You have a valid point and I thank you for bringing it up. It's not a money saving route I was trying to take as much as convenience and noise reduction thing. When you consider the price of the inverter and the $55.00 110V commercial bubbles pump that I'm looking at it is a considerable amount of money going the route I am headed. The marine inverters are a considerable amount more than the standard truck inverters and by the time you run it thru a gfci pigtail at bare minimum I may be better off going the direction of the 12V system.

I was asking about sizing the inverter because being the weekend I couldn't get tech support at marine metal products and I cannot find on line how much AC current they draw. From what I can tell if you go above a 300W its not worth it. By the way I have both a master and contractors electric lisc. Here so the installation and safety has been on my mind. But like all things it can be done safely and correctly as well as wrong and dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Your last comment kind of makes a lot more since. I could get both and switch over to shore power when I get back to the cabin. I bought a onboard charger on sale and its a low amp charger and I'm not sure it would fully recover my battery on a quick turnaround with a bubbler running. I should have gotten the bigger charger. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is what it is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast