Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cool night, warm days?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool night, warm days?

Hey guys,
    Got a question.. It gets cool here at night this time of year but warms up around 70 on the nice days. Is it better to fish late mornings when the water temps come up or can I expect to get action right away at sunup even though it's cool?
    I usually fish evening now because it's warmer n fish are active. I don't get to fish mornings as much and wated to go during best possible times. I would think theoretically late morning would be better, like after 9am when water temps come up from the sun? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

At my lake, it seems like "the early bird" gets the crappie.....that's because it's a very crowded lake and when the crappies are spawning, you sometimes have to get in line to fish a cove. When water temps are in the high 60's we get on the water at 5:45 to be the first to throw out baits. Your lake may be different, but I think all lakes have fish that are there one day and gone the next...same thing with the time of day...it's a morning bite one day and an afternoon/evening bite the next. Just spend as much time fishing as you can

Post Thanks / Like

I like to be on the lake as early as possible and leave about noon then return around five.
    FISH ON
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

While i have not been fishing this year, I would believe that you are correct..I fish a very clear lake, and it does take some time to warm..10:00 am-3:00 pm has been good for me in the past YMMV 5

Post Thanks / Like

At my home lake here in NC this spring, there has been a very minimal bite all day until about 6pm. All of the good reports I've heard were from late afternoon and evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Got my best one of the year so far yesterday. 12.5 in white. On my own hair jig. Things are just about to start exploding here in my area

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to believe that sun angle is more important especially in semi-clear water down to 5'. The higher the sun is on a sunny day the slower the shallow/ nearer-to-surface bite (even in 20 FOW).

Cloudy days don't have this change in fish position and fish are generally nearer the surface and more aggressive all times of day. Fish can still be actively hitting even at high noon, it's just that the lure must be worked deeper and slower even in an ideal water temperature range of 55-70 and with water clarity down only a few feet. I have no idea why I've found fish using the past patterns as described, but I can count on them all year round.

Prime times for fish after fish are from 9-11 am and 4-8 pm on the local lakes I fish.