Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnows are terrible small

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows are terrible small

Ok where do you guys around LOZ get your minnows. Ive stopped at two different places around Richland and both gave a BUNCH of very small minnows.. How would me catching my own out of local creeks do? Would they be ok for using in the Lake? My guess is yes but I need someone who can tell me for sure lol!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you might want to check with conservation department. I was in a local bait shop the other day when an agent came in to inspect bait. He wanted to see the invoices on minnows bought, and he wanted to make sure the owner is giving out receipts when he sells minnows. The reason is they are trying to keep invasive species out of our lakes/rivers (any more than has already happened). I came away with the impression that agents may ask fishermen for their minnow receipts any time in order to track minnows. If you seine from a creek that is infested with asian carp or zebra mussels, you may accidentally release them into your favorite fishing hole......bad news.
    Likes love2fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what Vic said you will have to make sure that you do not capture fish that are on the DO NOT HARVEST list and there are several on that list. Another thing to consider is that most streams are on private lands.
    Link to the Do Not Harvest
    Regulations | MDC Hunting and Fishing

There is also a statement in there about keeping the receipt for the minnows you have purchased.

If I thought the minnows were too small I would just use jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Their is a law against that now, better check.

Post Thanks / Like

When I got minnows from a local bait store (now closed- the Tacklebox in St., Joe), the last asked me where I was planning to fish. She said Kansas requires a count on minnows whereas Missouri doesn't. Perhaps that is to keep people in KS from buying a dozen minnows for the receipt, then putting in a bunch of wild-caught minnows from a stream that can contain invasive species. I wasn't aware of the MO regs for the receipt-keeping.

I know the MDC is very watchful over crawfish being moved around- woodland craw versus the rusty crawfish, etc. Some can out-compete natives and eventually cause their extinction.

Post Thanks / Like

We had same problem yesterday. Our baitshop here in St. James usually has great shiners they were sold out. Left for LOZ corner store at 133 sold out. Phillips 66 at U hwy and 42 sold out. Called Fisks in Osage beach said yes they had minnows bought 4 doz. Biggest one in bucket just an inch long they should be ashamed. Guess with all the fishing going on bait shops are hoping the people who get them minnows show up faster. I catch fish without minnows but really like having them along. Maybe it is a good way to start fishing without them.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me glad I haven't had the need for minnows in years.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a banner year for the fish farms in Arkansas. Several minnow farmers that I know are out of minnows. It's either very small(young) or very large(old).

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they are just teeny tiny I've never had problems catching crappie with small minnows...big or small fish eat them all
    "In my father's house are many mansions..." John 14:2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    I think you might want to check with conservation department. I was in a local bait shop the other day when an agent came in to inspect bait. He wanted to see the invoices on minnows bought, and he wanted to make sure the owner is giving out receipts when he sells minnows. The reason is they are trying to keep invasive species out of our lakes/rivers (any more than has already happened). I came away with the impression that agents may ask fishermen for their minnow receipts any time in order to track minnows. If you seine from a creek that is infested with asian carp or zebra mussels, you may accidentally release them into your favorite fishing hole......bad news.
    So my question is this: You cant raise your own minners...if you need a receipt ? I agree I dont want asian carp in any more waters in mo than they already are...but I would hate to know that I cant keep my own live bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast