Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good jig pole (spinning)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good jig pole (spinning)

I bought a BnM Sam Heaton Super Sensitive, 9' long and have a President 6920 on it. It casts okay but it's kind of cumbersome, but I am not used to casting that long of a rod. Plus, I recently bought a 6'8" Major Craft spinning rod from Japan and it is an awesome ultralight for casting. But I am curious about the best size Sam Heaton for vertical jigging. Tightlining and also using a float. As for tightlining, have to be able to sneak up on live Cypress trees in my favorite lakes and doodle the jig around the tree, under the numerous limbs. Wondering about spooking fish, and still, not being too cumbersome. At BPS, I see 9', 10', 11', and 12' models in this and all are rated the same -- 4-12lb line and 1/64oz to 1/4oz lures. What length, anyone have an opinion? Thanks.

Or, if you have any other rod you recommend for this, advise.
    ~~~
    Bill

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

11 or 12 ft. Jig poles are not really made for casting
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Heaton is one of the best jigging rods out there, those type can be used, but really aren't made to cast
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Are the longer ones, 11' or 12' cumbersome to use for tightlining? (Some long rods are heavy after awhile.) Is 9' too short or what are your opinions? Again, I have to be able to work it under limbs sometimes. But don't want to spook fish.

EDIT: P.S. I have a crappie reel on a too-heavy crappie rig (too long and heavy, like 15' I think). I think I will put that reel on it, since it's not really for casting. Don't need a Pfleuger President on this!
    ~~~
    Bill

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish a 8,9,10 and 12. Really like my 10ft Sam Heaton the best. My next rod is going to be 11 ft just don't know which one. I would put that crappie reel on the 9 ft and give it a whirl. Might find that length better for around tight trees. Or at least figure out how much more you might need. To me 10-11 is optimum length. 12 ft just wears me out anymore.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

If you are casting, try an 8 foot rod. Your B'n'M is a good choice. I do a lot of clear water fishing around weed beds and drop offs. I cast to the crappie and the extra length of the rod helps get the slack out of the line much quicker and results in more hook sets and more fish caught. As far as reels go, it is real hard to beat a Shimano spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an 8ft BGJP, it casts okay but it's far better for jigging or just pitching a float out a little. For casting I'd rather use my 5'6" to 6'6" rods.

Post Thanks / Like

If your not opposed to trying different rods check out the ozarks. I used to have a mixed bag of rods from bnm and several others now I am almost exclusively ozark. I love em I have a 11ft i use pitching a cork 3 10ft rear seats i use for jigging and a 8ft I use for casting or pitching a cork.

Post Thanks / Like

For what you are trying to do, the 7' SHSS is probably your best choice. I have the exact same set-up as you do, with both the 7' and a 9'. Both cast very well. I can actually cast further with the 9' rig. To me, they require very little effort. I have 3 of the PP 6920's and they work exceptionally well with these rods. However, I've got the reels filled with 2# test Fireline Crystal with a 4' fluoro leader. That may be why I am able to cast as easily. Love the B n' M rods.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

you may want to look at Bucks ultimate jig pole. I have the 8' and the 10' and enjoy them both. great backbone and can cast a mile with a 1/16 jig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast