Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor Suggestions

I didn't see a boat section so please move this if there is a special place for questions like this. I just bought my first boat last summer. 1990 Alumacraft Trophy 170. V hull, It has a Motorguide 55 on it with foot controlled cable. I hate it. I have to be in the front of the boat to operate it and my cable is short, I can hardly sit to the side. It has ample power with the 55lbs, I installed a second TM battery on a switch for reserve with a Minn Kota 210D 2 bank charger.

I would like something with a electronic foot control (long cord) and optional remote control, (Co-Pilot type system). I bought a HB 688 DI last summer and it is not I-Pilot compatible, thou it has the GPS, so that sucks but oh well.

This is my first boat I don't want to break the bank until I know I will stay with this hobby. I looked at MinnKota and have trouble seeing which units would fit my needs. I also know MotorGuide has basic units with wireless controls. At this point I don't think I need the smart TM with self guiding capability. And I don't think I need a sonar on the TM either.

PowerDrive, Terrova? Xi5, W55?

Any Suggestions? I don't want to buy more than I need.

Thanks
    Last edited by Royalwapiti; 04-20-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added sonar comment

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't think you need universal sonar built into the TM, I would recommend saving some money and going with a Min Kota Power Drive V2 or Edge. Also, if you plan on half days or longer on the water, with a 17 series v-bottom I highly recommend bumping to 24v 70# unit.

The other consideration that is critical to think about is ease of stowing and deploying. I've owned the PD V2, and they can really be a pain in the butt to deploy and stow. If you are getting a little older (like me) or have any kind of back issues or just don't have a lot of patience, you may want to look at the 24v 70# Edge instead. The Terrova and Ulterra are quantum leaps ahead in ease of deploy and stow, but they will cost significantly more and include features/functionality that you won't likely use.

I hope that helps!

Good luck!
    Last edited by CRIA1576; 04-20-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a terrova and I don't regret it bet money I ever spent on a boat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I too have owned a power drive V2 as well as a Terrova. Like CRIA said, the powerdrive is a little harder to deploy but, unlike the Terrova, you can get it with or without all the bells and whistles. In other words, unlike the terrova, you can buy a V2 with or without the built in transducer, you can buy it with or without I-Pilot. Knowing the makup of that boat (I own several alumacraft boats) and I was in your shoes, I would purchase a powerdrive V2 with a 60inch shaft and 70 lbs of thrust (24 volt system). I would then purchase Co-pilot system for it (bolts right on the side of the motor). It allows you to utilize BOTH the foot pedal (with 16ft cable) or the remote. Keep in mind that the Co-pilot system does not have spot lock, navigation, recording tracks and all the other bells and whistles. It is basically a wireless footpedal.

IF for whatever reason you decide to you want to go with an I-pilot system, you can upgrade your powerdrive to that. A foot pedal will no longer work but you can sell yours along with the co-pilot.

Make sure that if you purchase a 24 volt system, you utilize the "exact" same batteries. Don't mix and match sizes, brands, etc. At a minimum, they should be identical in cold cranking amps, reserve amps and all the other numbers. Because of the variance of how different companies make theirs, I recommend they both be identical in size and manufacturer.

I didn't much care for the motorguide. I have used them but don't own any. As for a cable steer... I'm not a bass fisherman and I don't sit in the front of the boat to fish. They have their advantages as far as they are much quicker to operate (greater response) however, I don't fish like that so I have no use or need for one.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Xi5 and use the remote almost exclusively. Really like the anchor lock. I'll never go back to a cable steer.

Post Thanks / Like

MinnKota for sure,

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you old, git an Ulterra. If you are a hotdog, git an Ulterra. Otherwise git something you need.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I've had power drive and now have a Terrova and either one can be a bear to retrieve for older people like me, I'm 73, but I've found it real easy if you just drive it up. By that I mean hit the release then hit the forward button and it'll fly up out of the water. All you have to do is slide it back into the cradle NO lifting.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the Terrova with no transducer and no Ipilot. You can call Brian at BBG marine and he will beat this price. You could always add Ipilot later or Copilot. 55 be plenty big for your boat. Been running one 4 years. No way I would buy the PdV2 over a Terrova just for the launch and retrieve part if nothing else.

Terrova 55 55 Lbs Thrust 48in Shaft
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I sweated over spending a pile of money on a Terrova , but I did and have never regretted it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast