Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: structure ?

K9jones Guest

Default structure ?

I am planning on putting some pvc structure in some of my fishing spots. The question I have is, how long before fish will start using the structure?

Post Thanks / Like

how long it takes is up to where you put the cover. when do you need it to produce? If you want to catch fish now, then put it at a depth and area where you are fishing now. if you have a tournament when the water temp is going to be in the mid 50's, then put it in the 8-12 foot range. If you want fish to spawn in it, then put it in 4-6 foot. keep this in mind, if you have a bare bank or bay with almost nothing in it, the fish will be thrilled to have something for cover. If there are already 500 standing trees in it, you will be sharing your fish with all the other trees. let's do a little math, divide 5000 fish by 500 trees and then divide 200 fish by 4 trees. I would rather fish an area with just a couple brush piles than a big cove full of cover. If you put something in the water, where the fish are NOW, you will have fish on it very quickly. If you put it where they WILL be, it will be good later. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by crappie10; 02-04-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K9jones
    I am planning on putting some pvc structure in some of my fishing spots. The question I have is, how long before fish will start using the structure?
    Where do you live in Northeast N.C.? I live close to Edenton. Maybe we can share some ideas on this subject as we may be fishing the same waters. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

K9jones Guest

Crappie 10,

Thanks for the information. You mentioned some good ideas I haven't consider.

Crappiefarmer,

I live in Camden County, and fish the Pasquotank and North River mostly.

Thanks for your replys,

K9

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K9jones
    Crappie 10,

Thanks for the information. You mentioned some good ideas I haven't consider.

Crappiefarmer,

I live in Camden County, and fish the Pasquotank and North River mostly.

Thanks for your replys,

K9
    K9, I fish Yeopim, Perquimans,Chowan,roanoke, Alligator rivers and more but I have not gone and tried Pasquotank yet or the North river. Let me know if you want to share some notes and I will private message you. Would like to learn some good areas up there as I am only about 30 minutes from E.C.. If ya need some info on my areas just ask. I'll be glad to try to help out all I can. I post on the Virginia board and the N.C. board. Thanks. CF

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, Your question. I have put out some pvc condos. The time of year has a lot to do with it also the color of the water and the depth. Lets take for example a condo in 8 feet of water. What draws the crappie is the algae that grows on the pipe so in the winter time it may take a couple of months but in the summer, a couple of weeks. Your water clarity also will factor in as well. The darker the water the longer it may take for the algae to grow because of light penetration and on these rivers down here there is some black water so it may take a while the deeper you go below 6 feet. I would be putting in my summer structure now and this summer, place my fall and winter structure. Make sure you mark your condos with a gps because they can be hard to see on your graph. Let me know if you need any more info or you can PM me. CF

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes what it's constructed of can be a factor in how soon. We place most of ours here on creek channel drops out from the spawning areas. The Crappie will stage on them prespawn , during , and post spawn. Fish use channels as highways or like deer do trails.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Nimrod, you are exactly correct about the fish using channels, like highways. My Dad used to set trot lines for catfish. He would stretch them across the arm or cove and the fish would only be on part of the line. He would then move the ends around so that when the fish were not on one part, but scattered evenly down the line, He knew that the whole line was in what He called the "fish paths". That was before depthfinders, so it was trial and error. He would let the fish tell him where they want to go. That, I believe, is why two piles in one area sometimes have greatly different results. Granted, we don't usually have the option of moving them easily, but pay attention when one is a lot better and try to repeat it. They say the first hundred are the hard ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

K9jones, It takes anywhere from 2-3 days up to 2-3 weeks. Depending where you put them. My suggestion, put them where you want to sit and fish. Use several in one area, spread them out. You will be the judge as to what works for you. Good luck k9
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Crappiefarmer, algae is the key. The rougher the texture on the finish, the faster it will grow. Also wide flat pieces of PVC catch maximum sunlight on topside to grow algae and provide shade on the underside for the fish as well.

All of our products are Made in the USA with all American made materials.
    Artificial fish habitat,crappie attractors and bass structure made from PVC.
    Numerous models of various sizes,textures and shapes for fry to lunkers.
    Mention Crappie.com with your order for 10% off!!
    Fishiding.com Structurespot.com