Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dock Shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooting

Spent my day trying dock shooting and I can honestly say that a lot more practice is needed. I am curious about the set up that the experienced people use as for rod and line.
    I was using a 6ft medium Berkley Cherrywood and 10lb Stren. I did ok for the first time trying this. Today my biggest problem was timing the release. There where a lot of dudes,

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like fun would like to try myself

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the dock shooting also. I am just not coordinated enough to time the release good. Like you said I released a lot of dudes also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest going to 4lb line or 6lb . Also a push button reel is easier to learn with. I use a 5'6 lighting rod but 6ft is a good rod to . I like a stiff rod but some people like a lighter action. Just practice in the yard with a bucket and you will get it. If you can find someone who is good at fishing docks to take you it will help more than anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The docks on this particular lake are real low to the water and are built so as to not be fisherman friendly. Seems as if us rednecks really like to over brace our structures.
    Most that I fished today offer, at best, a 12in window shoot through. I am going to drop line size and start there first.

Post Thanks / Like

Lighter line will help. The rod you have will work but is a little stiff. We shoot floating docks and it can be challenging.

Post Thanks / Like

I can get under a 2in gap. If you do it long enough you will get good at it. 12 ins is easy just practice. I sent you a pm .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree with the idea of a push button because I do agree with the idea of 4 lb line. I can hit a 4 inch spuare hole after I get warmed up, and you can too. Flat sided bait like the Bobby Garland Baby Shad help with the skip, and I prefer a 1/32 for the slower fall rate.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another Joe showed me some dock shooting tips today. He's south of bham if you could be lucky enough to hook up with him u could get a few useful tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning reel and a stiff rod tip like the B&M dock shooting rod. You do not want a lot of whip in your rod tip and 6LB line. Practice.
    Likes Skeet16 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast