Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some advice

Alright, I need some advice from the pros. I've been wearing out the monster shellcrackers (redears) the last few weeks on red worms. I can't get them to take an artificial, though. Sure would be nice not to have to mess with worms on those bitter-cold mornings. Anybody got any suggestions as to an artificial I could try? I've been catching them out of about twelve feet of water right on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

See my below post as I were the redear out on the bait I listed. However, I've only tried them when they are spawning and don't know how well they will work outside the spawn? Haven't seen anything that will come close to it when they are spawning though.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude where are you fishing at? I catch most of mine on red worms or crawlers. I have caught a few nice ones on a blk\chartuese slider but nothing like fishing with worms.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are killin them on worms, even though its cold, i would still use em. Like the song says " Every rose has its thorn " Monster shellcracker are AWESOME!!

Post Thanks / Like

Try a white jig. I use a special juice from clams to juice mine and catch a lot of shell crackers most anytime I go.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been catching them on rock points on Chickamauga Lake. One of the problems I'm having, believe it or not, is that my worms and the dirt they are in is freezing and making them fall apart when I'm putting them on the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Try www.lobybaits.com

Their "wormi" is deadly on cold water gills!

Unbelievable action,when double hooked,and very resistant to bite-offs from

finicky fish.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Default freezing worms

You just have to keep your worms from freezing.
    They need to be kept in a warm, moist, and convenient place while fishing.
    Just don't talk and give your secret away to your friends that you are fishing with you.

I heard that as a joke, but don't remember the whole story, just the punch line.

Post Thanks / Like

A note about worms. I don't use worms anymore but when I did, nightcrawlers mostly for walleye on a harness, and I think this can apply to any worm, I placed the worms, the nite b4 into a glass jar of water and placed them in the frig. (Clean, wash all dirt off 1st). The next day the worms will be alive and it also toughens them and there is no mess when using them. Change the water once in a while. A worm isnt any different than a fish, air can be had in the ground or water but not mud - thats why they come out when it rains. Try it, you'll be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, nothing beats bait.

However, Jim Hatch over at FAOL (www.flyanglersonline.com) is very successful with a scud imitation. If you don't fly fish, you can always fish it under a float.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast