Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: tuesday night on wylie

Post Thanks / Like

Default tuesday night on wylie

tonight me, marty and jerry hit a hole marty fished the other night and did pretty good . we fished from dark to one am and wound up with 48 keepers, of which 13 was slabs, the rest being average to small which we kept for my neighbor who was wanting a mess of fish, . what a difference a small change in location makes on the bite. the catfish was fairly active tonight to, with us catching 14 , several around the 5 lb class. we had no long boatrides to make tonight so there wasnt no danger of us gettin off course like the other night. most of the fish was caught around ten ft deep to the bottom. the bite was pretty steady all evening, with us hookin and loosing a good many fish we never got to see, with some nice ones gettin off at the net.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rango, are you guys still catching fish shallow?I caught about 30 last week on a brush pile back up in a cove in 15 foot of water.Most of these were keepers and some still had minimal eggs.I really want to get on some more soon. This new boat has finally worked out all the kinks"i hope", and the fish just dont seem to be attracted to it yet.Thanks for the post and good luck this week.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Hey Rango, are you guys still catching fish shallow?I caught about 30 last week on a brush pile back up in a cove in 15 foot of water.Most of these were keepers and some still had minimal eggs.I really want to get on some more soon. This new boat has finally worked out all the kinks"i hope", and the fish just dont seem to be attracted to it yet.Thanks for the post and good luck this week.

big e we are anchoring in deep water, 25 or more ft deep and catching fish from about ten ft down to the bottom. the location is important more so than the depth. we fished a brush pile sunday night we put in last winter, not near anything thats gonna attract crappie naturally, and dint do no good, fishing 25 ft of water. weve been wanting to fish this brush since we put it in, and when we did fish it, we had no action. .then last night we fished 25 ft of water in a different location and done real good, with no changes in the weather between the two days, but the same depths. sometimes a brush wont draw crappie at all, but i beleive if you put the brush on or near a crappie interstate, it will attract fish traveling that highway, like a motel so to say, for them to rest up on their nightly travels looking for food. sometimes a spot looks good but for some reason they dont attract the fish. now they may hold fish during the day and make good jiggin brush, i dont know as i dont do much jigging. we dont actually fish over the brush due to the hang up problems, but fish off it a piece. the lights will draw the fish to you. If you arent catching fish on a regular basis at night this time of year, get you a good contour map of the lake you are fishing, learn to read contours and find places where creek and river channels swing in close to the banks and set up anchor somewhere in the area and give it a try. you may have to try a few different places before you hit paydirt, but somewhere along the line you will find some good spots. get yourself a strong anchor. marty had a great spot sunday night and about the time the bite got really good, a boat wave pulled his anchor up and he drifted away from his spot and lost the bite and never got it back. just droping an anchor over the side aint good enough.. take the time to get it hung good and draw the boat between the anchors so it wont move. last night we took close to an hour gettin the anchors hung because the bottom was so hard. we all had broken into a major sweat pulling and draggin them till we finally got both of em hung, one so hard we had to pull it loose with the mercury. there was a lot of boat traffic and big waves along with the wind at times pushing against the side of the boat but we dint move off anchor an inch.. this is important!!!!!!!!!! good luck
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Rango, thanks for the post.I just bought two new grapple style anchors and am learning how to use them properly.Its funny ,when pulling our anchors up at the nuke plant the other night, we pulled up someone elses from some time ago that was obviously too much for them one night.Ill try to study my lake wylie map real good tonight and see what I see.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.