Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinking of trees

centralsac Guest

Default Sinking of trees

Im new to the forum and we have alot of xmas trees that were collected this year and will be placing them out in the next week or so. I have several 5 gallon buckets full of concrete and a piece of cable cemented into each bucket. I drilled holes in each tree trunk to pass the cable through. Just wondering if anyone could help by telling me about how many trees a bucket will take down with no problems. Trees are from 6-8 ft tall. This is a start and have many other ideas thanks to the knowledge passed on this forum. Any help is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sinking Trees

5 gal. bucket of concrete weights 88 lbs......
    I put a 2.5 gal. jug in top of my trees (to help keep it upright) and 5 gal. bucket will sink it with NO problem...
    Good fishing...........

Post Thanks / Like

Due to the boyancy force of water you have to subtract 62.4 pounds per cubic foot from that to get the weight after it is submerged. Thats about 21 pounds of weight per bubic foot of concrete...and then you have to account for the bouyancy of the tree you are trying to hold down which further reduces the weight. I go a little heavier because of the currents when they are pulling water in my local lake.
    Forbidden fruits make for some real jams.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't waste your time with the Christmas trees. Grab some fallen timber from the shoreline and sink it with bricko blocks. Christmas trees collect silt and get mashed down before the needles fall off.
    Thank You,
    Mathieu

"Since there is a rule that states "i" before "e" except after "c", wouldn't "science" be spelled wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

I work with a group that puts out several Christmas trees per year. We use 3 twelve inch concrete blocks (around 33 pounds per block) to sink 4 or 5 trees. The trees are tied together at the trunks and 1 of the trees has a 6" x 6" styrofoam block tied to its top.

centralsac Guest

DHC,
    Thanks for your help. Thats the information i was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Lately, I have been cutting small cedars 5-6' tall, and all I do is fill a 5 gallon bucket about 1/4 full with quikcrete mix. Then I take 3 cedars and work them into the mix and let them sit overnight and sink them. I have not had any problems getting them to sink yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the cedars you are sinking fresh cut cedars?Cause dont they throw off some acid that will run the crappie off and make them not want to hang in them.I was told by a guide one time it would so I was just asking.
    http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/luckyshorses/?start=0[/url]
    Hook em and bring em in the boat.
    Boys look at them bouncing juggs lets get them in the boat.
    3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake SGT of Arms.

Post Thanks / Like

Default christmas trees

i always tied two trees to a cement block tied a quart oil bottle to the top first clean out the bottle

Post Thanks / Like

Some trees will go through a souring period and then they are fine. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast