PDA

View Full Version : my minnow tank

turkeyfootnc
02-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I just finished my minnow tank project. I have an aerator I have used for a couple of years to transfer fish from one pond to another that runs off a 12V battery. This thing will really pump water and does a good job of keeping fish alive. I finally realized this would work for my tank but I wanted the power source to be AC instead of a battery. I talked to the electrician at work about converting the power source and he suggested a battery charger and it works. So now I have a pump, tank, and a power source now all I need is springtime to come so I can get to a fish hatchery and buy a pound or 2 of fathead minnows and no more stopping at a bait shop and spending all that time and money and risk being shorted on minnows.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/turkeyfootnc/100_0010.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/turkeyfootnc/100_0011.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/turkeyfootnc/100_0008.jpg

CrappiePappy
02-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I hope you aren't going to use a 5gal bucket to "store" your 1-2lbs of minnows in :eek: ... well, not unless you plan on changing their water every day. The cool/oxygenated water that your pumping device will provide, will probably be enough to keep them alive, temporarily ... but, their waste deposits will foul the water up, real quick ... and they'll start to die off. You might be better off with a 25gal (or larger) "tank" ... and using the suction cups to hold the pump onto the sides, and making a L joint in the T bar sprayer (so the spray bar will be out of the water).

I had one of those same pumps in my last boat ... I used it as an aerator. It was a strong circulator of water, and the spray pressure was strong enough to nearly beat minnows/shad/fish to death, in the shallow water of my livewell. I see by your picture, that it looks as though the extra height the water travels, is enough to diminish that force somewhat. I don't know what effect another couple of feet of height, of your T bar, would have on the spray/flow of water. That's why I suggested attaching the pump to the side of the larger tank, and use a pvc elbow to bring the T bar above the surface (of the deeper water level). You might get away with transporting a pound or two of minnows, in a 5gal bucket, with an air pump attached ... but, I wouldn't want to transport them far, or for very long. Nor would I want to try and keep them in one, for very long, either.
It may be just me, but IMHO ... 4gal of water just doesn't seem enough for several hundred minnows.
Have you thought about how you're going to "refrigerate" them, during the warmer days of the year ?? ... cp :cool:

Moonshine
02-04-2007, 01:37 PM
That doesn't look like a 5 gallon bucket he is using as a container. Looks more like a food grade 15 or 30 gallon container like liquid malt extract is sold in. Easy way for water changes would be to add a $2 yard faucett (like on a water heater) to the side of the container in the lowest 3 or 4 inches. Place screen over the portion of the valve inside the tank. Screw on a garden hose to the valve and drain to wherever needed then refill. Occasionally vaccuum the bottom of the tank with a syphon hose.

turkeyfootnc
02-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I hope you aren't going to use a 5gal bucket to "store" your 1-2lbs of minnows in :eek: ... well, not unless you plan on changing their water every day. The cool/oxygenated water that your pumping device will provide, will probably be enough to keep them alive, temporarily ... but, their waste deposits will foul the water up, real quick ... and they'll start to die off. You might be better off with a 25gal (or larger) "tank" ... and using the suction cups to hold the pump onto the sides, and making a L joint in the T bar sprayer (so the spray bar will be out of the water).

I had one of those same pumps in my last boat ... I used it as an aerator. It was a strong circulator of water, and the spray pressure was strong enough to nearly beat minnows/shad/fish to death, in the shallow water of my livewell. I see by your picture, that it looks as though the extra height the water travels, is enough to diminish that force somewhat. I don't know what effect another couple of feet of height, of your T bar, would have on the spray/flow of water. That's why I suggested attaching the pump to the side of the larger tank, and use a pvc elbow to bring the T bar above the surface (of the deeper water level). You might get away with transporting a pound or two of minnows, in a 5gal bucket, with an air pump attached ... but, I wouldn't want to transport them far, or for very long. Nor would I want to try and keep them in one, for very long, either.
It may be just me, but IMHO ... 4gal of water just doesn't seem enough for several hundred minnows.
Have you thought about how you're going to "refrigerate" them, during the warmer days of the year ?? ... cp :cool:

This is a 30 gallon drum. I plan on using a frozen 2 liter bottles of water to cool the water. What I plan to do is just before we leave for the pond/lake, I'll scoop up a couple dozen minnows into a small container. When I took this picture I was testing the unit. I will add lots of water when I'm ready.

CrappieHound
02-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Where is it you get your minnows. I must not be in the know about other sources on minnows. I just figured you either bought them at the local bait store or netted them yourself.

Tank looks good by the way...gives me all kinds of ideas.

tnjeff
02-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Where is it you get your minnows. I must not be in the know about other sources on minnows. I just figured you either bought them at the local bait store or netted them yourself.

Hey crappiehound,
Over here which is wayne county,There are fish stocking trucks that come to our local co-op about once a month,I buy fathead minnows by the pound from them,can't remeber the price from last year,but I belive i pay about 16.00 for 5 pounds.I know feb 15 that's went they will be here agian.:)

tnjeff
02-04-2007, 03:26 PM
I had a tank like that last year,work fine for me,never had no trouble keeping minnows alive,but I only keep minnow's in my from feb. till about june,never have try keeping them in the summer went it real hot.This year I'm trying something new,and a little bigger:D

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/tnjeff/100_1036.jpg

It's an old chest type deep-freeze,with one of those pump's you use in a yard pond.:)

DENNIS BOWERS
02-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Good Lookin Tank!!

E fan
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Okay I'm new to this keeping minnows alive but just what do you feed them while in captivity? I can get as many fat head minnows as I need for $2 a poundhere in White County Arkansas:D

turkeyfootnc
02-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Check with a local agriculture cooperative agent or someone along that line for fish hatcheries in your area. Fathead minnows are just food fish for bass, crappie, and/or catfish. These minnows are the same ones you buy at a bait shop. Generally, when you build a new pond, you stock bream with the minnows and a year or so later stock bass/catfish. The fatheads simply take the pressure off the desired bream, bass, etc. From time to time, I will buy a couple of pounds of minnows for my pond. On the average, you can buy fatheads for around $10 per pound and you get around 300 minnows per pound. You can buy 8-10 dozen minnows at a bait shop depending where you go for around $10.

turkeyfootnc
02-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Okay I'm new to this keeping minnows alive but just what do you feed them while in captivity? I can get as many fat head minnows as I need for $2 a poundhere in White County Arkansas:D

I have noticed many guys on here that have a minnow tank of some type do not feed minnows. I plan to scoop some water out and replace with well water once a week. Unless the minnows start dying then I'll change more often or do something different.

papasage
02-04-2007, 07:09 PM
i have a pump like that . i put it in a cooler works great for a while . the preasure of the water was scaling the fish . i had a pipr run all around the cooler . the end was plugged . i took the plug off and it cut the preasure way down still works great .the bottom has a filter on it . it should be cleaned often maby dailey . depends on how menny minnows you have .the pump in the water will heat the water up .especialey if the filter gits clogged .i plann on building a minnow tank. i have a couple of air pumps that was for air mattress that was used for bed ridden patients . i put a large stone on the end of the hose . it runs a while and stops . works real great . have a unite i plann on trying to make it work to keep the water cool . it is out of a old humidityfier . they are just a small aircondishoner . you can use a small aircondishoner . bend the cooling coil uver into the water . to do this you will have to take the cover off it . seen one used in a bait shop for years

CrappiePappy
02-04-2007, 08:23 PM
This is a 30 gallon drum. I plan on using a frozen 2 liter bottles of water to cool the water. What I plan to do is just before we leave for the pond/lake, I'll scoop up a couple dozen minnows into a small container. When I took this picture I was testing the unit. I will add lots of water when I'm ready.

my bad ... it's hard to tell actual size, in the picture. :D ... cp :cool:

Slipcork
02-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Why couldn't you make the hole bigger in the pipe and it has less water pressure? Also a old PC power supply makes a great 12v dc power source.

your tank looks great to me. Just change out about 5 gal of water with well water if they start to die.

turkeyfootnc
02-05-2007, 03:40 AM
my bad ... it's hard to tell actual size, in the picture. :D ... cp :cool:

No problem:D It does look small!!

papasage
02-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Why couldn't you make the hole bigger in the pipe and it has less water pressure? Also a old PC power supply makes a great 12v dc power source.

your tank looks great to me. Just change out about 5 gal of water with well water if they start to die.
that is what i did to this one .took the cap off the end . could drill more holes . this works ok.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/papasage/Copyofpumpincooler0022.jpg

pump at work

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/papasage/pumpincooler008.jpg the screen wire keeps the minnows from being sucked up to the filter and cloging it .

Jerry Blake
02-05-2007, 06:54 AM

You can keep minnows for a couple months without feeding them. If you feed them they will produce a lot more waste which will in turn kill them if you don't change out their water often. Keep them cool and aerated and they will do much better without feeding them. Where are you getting minnows for $2 a pound? We're paying about $5 a pound at Anderson's.

rango
02-05-2007, 07:12 AM
ive been keeping minnows now for several years and have never fed em. a simple thing to do to cut the pressure down to any amount you want is put a pvc valve tween the pump and the spray head and filter if you got one. i put one on each and using a yard pond pump i can control the pressure to just about any amount i want. you can get the valves for around 3-4 dollars at lowes.

Rowdy
02-05-2007, 08:58 AM
My tank is a 300 gal. tote,I only fill it half. I caught pond minnows we had stocked,They been in my tank for10 weeks and not one dead one!

I turned off the ariator 3 weeks ago and they are still fine,I built a pump with an old beldge pump and can pump the waste out and just refill with treated city water.
I did feed them 1 slice of white bread,it made lots of POOP,It's in my garage, they usually will start dieing when the water temp. gets to 65-70 deg

Rowdy
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/donniesmith1960/Minnowtank002.jpghttp://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/donniesmith1960/Minnowtank001.jpg

E fan
02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
You can keep minnows for a couple months without feeding them. If you feed them they will produce a lot more waste which will in turn kill them if you don't change out their water often. Keep them cool and aerated and they will do much better without feeding them. Where are you getting minnows for $2 a pound? We're paying about $5 a pound at Anderson's.
Gamble's in Mcrae:D

creekslick
02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Gamble's in Mcrae:D
Do you have a number for Gamble's?

E fan
02-05-2007, 07:30 PM
my bad it's Gammill but Monty is his son and I can't remember his but either one will get you what you want. 501 726 3308 I think . I normaly just go by and see him. Buddy of mine lives right there

kycreek
02-06-2007, 04:53 PM
This thread has got me thinking about all the stuff around the farm that I could use. It could save several dollars and time.