Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow or Green Line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yellow or Green Line?

Who uses the bright yellow or green line when crappie fishing? I used some of the yellow line when the water was stained last year and loved the fact I could easily see my line jump when the fish hit it. However, I'm not sure how well it will work in clearer water? Any of you clear water guys use it successfully and if so what kind do you suggest for casting jigs to brush?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Casey ..

Quote Originally Posted by caseydrew
    Who uses the bright yellow or green line when crappie fishing? I used some of the yellow line when the water was stained last year and loved the fact I could easily see my line jump when the fish hit it. However, I'm not sure how well it will work in clearer water? Any of you clear water guys use it successfully and if so what kind do you suggest for casting jigs to brush?
    I use both ... 4lb Stren Gold - 4 & 6lb Trilene Iron Silk. I wouldn't say I fish in "really" clear water, but I have used them successfully at Weiss Lake Ala - Watts Bar Lake Tn - Taylorsville Lake Ky ... none of which are considered 'clear' water, but neither are they considered 'murky' water lakes. Generally speaking, when the lakes are clear enough to see down a few feet, the Crappie are going to be several feet below that depth ... given the other circumstances affecting them. In those circumstances, the water depth will afford the fish some security ... and help diminish the line color effect. (if there really is any)
    When casting, watching the line for any sign of movement is key to detecting strikes ... especially light ones. They don't always "thump" ... sometimes they just "tic" .... and sometimes all you see is the line moving off to one side or the other, or going slack. The earlier you detect these line movements, the more chance you have of setting the hook before the fish rejects the bait. Missed bites are almost the same thing as no bites ... so, seeing the bite, instead of or in place of feeling the bite, IMHO is the most important factor in casting. Even if it means not having 'some' of the fish even hit the lure, you're still better off with line you can see ... even in clear water. I know that the fish can see most all lines, under most conditions ... I just don't think it presents itself as much of a "threat", when compared to the potential for a "meal". Boat noise, angler movement, casting shadows, and such are probably more likely to register as a threat (to the fish) ... than a thin strand of color hanging in the water.

..... cp

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

sure is a lot of chartuse colors used in jigs to catch the fish--
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone seen this...http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat600392&rid= Want to try it...So what do you think about it,Crappiepappy???

Post Thanks / Like

I Really Like The Stren Hivis Gold In The 6 Pound Test . I Have Found It Doesn't Bother The Fish I Catch . It Seems To Me That I'm Catching More Fish Now Than When I Was Using Clear Line .

See Ya Kevin ><)))*>
    Excellent

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Wally Marshall hi-visability year round!! No Problems and it dont get much clearer then it is here!! I too like seeing the line twitch-set the hook!!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 21759

Kevin Thats All I,ve Used For Years--don,t Catch A Whole Bunch But Its Not The Lines Fault---
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Hi-Vis Gold by Stren! I don't fish any clear water but I 've read where several guides use Chartreuse line and they believe that the line catches the crappie's attention and then they see the lure.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Wally Marshall Mr. Crappie yellow 6 lb. test on all my crappie rigs. I've never experienced any problems with it plus my old eyes can see it easily. It's also pretty cheap.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Litebite ...

Quote Originally Posted by Litebite
    Has anyone seen this...http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat600392&rid= Want to try it...So what do you think about it,Crappiepappy???
    I've seen TripleFish line before, my local tackle shop used to carry it ... but, I've never seen this version. From what I remember, the line seemed tough, but I don't remember whether it was soft or stiff. I see that the lightest it comes in, is 8lb test. If that's what you normally use, and/or you have larger size spinning reels (or reels with larger spools) .. then you might be OK. Ultralight/small spool reels don't seem to handle lines over 6lb test, very well, unless they are really pretty llimp.

Sorry I can't be of more help .... maybe someone that's used TripleFish line, can chime in on this one. ....... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast