Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gps

Post Thanks / Like

Default gps

I have a question.I have marked some PVC that i put out with a Garmin gps 12,since then i have up graded with a new Garmin with Was, How far off do you think the coordinates would be from the old gps to the new one????The accuracy with the new one is three feet with the Was

Post Thanks / Like

I checked a GPS forum, and what they said was there can be up to a10 meter(30') error range in each unit. I'm no expert, but they supposedly are so it sounds to me like the worst case scenario is 60', but if you have good reception in the area you should be alot closer than that. Good luck.
    A positive additude may not fix all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

If your old gps was putting you on the cover, the new one with the WAAS will too. You might even be able to get a new, more accurate coordinate on the center of the brushpile.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree w/ the above post. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it and once you do just remark it on your new GPS.

Post Thanks / Like

I must comment...even though you don't mention using a map, your question is a great illustration of a very unrecognized problem regarding maps....EVERY time technology improves, map makers have similar questions. Bottom line: If you are orientig to a map, remember many maps haven't been resurveyed in decades. And if the map has error and the accuracy of the GPS is near perfect...where does that leave you? If you are referencing a map (even a gps map) to see depths, slopes, contours, drop offs or structure, do so with the knowledge the amount of error "can be" surprising.

About that brushpile? If you have an old waypoint, just cross reference your fishfinder and that is the best opportunity for pin point accuracy. When you catch fish, mark the spot with your WAAS GPS and you'll be better off on your next trip.