Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Redmond

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Redmond

Gents, looking to head to JOHN REDMOND in the next few days. I have never fished the lake and would really love to put my buddy on fish considering I planned his bachelor party at waconda and that looks like its going to back fire with the weather! Pending the weather reports stay the same for Waconda I will be fishing JR any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

duckman,
    I can't offer any personal experience and myself new to the crappie hunting but I'm interested how the crappie fishing might differ in this lake being shallow.
    I assume you have done your homework on the fishing reports and looking at a few maps online.
    I think water temp and clarity will play a big role. Probably fish rocks/rip rap first from shallow to deep. Close to dam as the reports suggest. Then maybe look for deep weed beds. Either way I'd be lookining in the range of 4 fow.
    Most if my knowledge has came from CDC. So I am interested in others input and hopefully some personal experience.
    Will be looking for a report if you make it out!
    Good luck. I think you'll do pretty good myself.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend and I went to JR around 2 to 3 weeks ago, we searched every where we dare, a whole lot of 3ft water, go easy. In my opinion I would concentrate on the dam, as it is some of the deeper water we found, and it was only 4 to 7 ft in places just 10 to 20 yards out from the rocks. I am guessing once the spawn hits heavy, this is the place to be. We kind of decided that bank fishing would be the way to go during the spawn. We never really seen any shad balls or fish to speak of and we were using down and side scan technology. Not a single bite but was a learning experience. Good Luck, hope this will help. DK

Post Thanks / Like

John Redmond is shallow and muddy. You're gonna be hard pressed to find many crappie in there. It doesn't have near the number of crappie as other lakes nearby. There's more catfish to be had than anything else. Despite what you read on the Kansas website about it ranking high for crappies, it is a tough lake to fish because it is so muddy and shallow with little to no structure and the crappie numbers just isn't there. You'll be better off at Pomona or Perry, much better water clarity and much better numbers of good sized crappie.
    Likes dkv, crappiebum_kc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with cy912

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Redmond this morning caught three crappie and about one hundred white bass off the dam. White bass were every where big fish also. So if you want to have some fun catching white bass that is the place to go. We were pitching road runners with wht/chart tube jig.
    Likes John Wells, dkv, slabby joe, fish4dug LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie reports for John Redmond being good aren't from the main lake... 95% of the lake is less than 6 ft deep. There are no submerged weed beds unless the lake is up and floods into some willows/smartweed.

Looked like 200 people fishing the dam yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zummy View Post
    Crappie reports for John Redmond being good aren't from the main lake... 95% of the lake is less than 6 ft deep. There are no submerged weed beds unless the lake is up and floods into some willows/smartweed.

Looked like 200 people fishing the dam yesterday.
    There were a number of boats at the otter creek mud ramp yesterday pm. Now that it has rained would not be usable to a normal person. Might try eagle creek South of Hartford.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of white bass on the dam Zummy

Post Thanks / Like

I fished the river Thursday. Never caught any but saw 4 caught in the hour I fished. Elbow to Elbow on the dam isn't my thing. Were you in the boat fishing the rock point just south of the dam?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast