Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling motor guestion

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor guestion

hey fellas, im thinking about replacing my cable steer minn koda for a terrova with i-pilot but i do a lot of single poll structure fishing where boat control is critical. can you get as good of control with and electric steer compared to a cable.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really....after you get used to it you can do pretty good but it is a learning curve
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Brian at BBG marine. I would get one of their mounting plates and just swap motors. There is one of the Minkota mounting plates you can buy extra top plat for but don't know which one. Plus Brian is going to have the best price on a Terrova and only 8.00 shipping.

bbgmarine
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes SlabPappi LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Working in close is not easy, but you can do. I do OK with mine but I am thinking about remounting my Motor Guide for the rest of the early season, then go back when I troll. Working a bank or spinning for crappie, they work fine. My 2cts.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think anyone can argue the control of cable steer or tiller control for tight structure fishing. The remotes shine trolling. Thats what keeps me with cable steer. I can live with the little aggravation trolling. Need control fishing banks.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Call Brian at BBG marine. I would get one of their mounting plates and just swap motors. There is one of the Minkota mounting plates you can buy extra top plat for but don't know which one. Plus Brian is going to have the best price on a Terrova and only 8.00 shipping.

bbgmarine
    this is what I'm going to be doing this year spider rigging trolling with terrova and in the brush with a maxxum pro
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I swap back and forth depending on what I'm doing. If I'm trolling the electric steer is awesome. But during the spawn when I'm casting jigs and in the summer when I'm dipping trees the cable steer is the way to go. In my experience the electric steer just isn't quick enough to keep me on a tree in windy conditions especially.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!
    Likes chaunc, RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a bunch guys. im gonna chew on this one a bit before making a decision

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the opposite side, I started with a Terrova and my new boat has a cable steer that I find pretty challenging. I became quite proficient with both the ipilot remote and pedal. But all things equal I could see cable steer better for tight control.

As stated above, the mounting plate is the ideal option and use both.
    A man remembered never dies.