Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a rod tip...?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing a rod tip...?

Went out fishing yesterday, noticed my line had massive abrasions seemingly throughout. I knew something wasn't right, took a look at my rod tip and yep it was damaged. The rod tip was fully intact but had chipped causing a sharp edge. I've found a video (How to replace the tip on a fishing rod - YouTube) by Flukemaster on YouTube showing this and it seems straight forward and easy enough. But do all rod tips come off this same way? I have a St. Croix rod. Also.....I assume it's epoxy holding the rod tip from the factory, they sell this small epoxy bottle/syringe by gorilla glue at Walmart for $5 would this be good for securing on a new tip? However I have seen rod tip replacement kits by Fuji and Berkley that come with rod glue/cement...anyone ever tried? Never heard of Fuji? Sorry this is my first guide/tip replacement 😆 Thanks guys 🎣
    Last edited by GreenEYESfromOHIO; 04-11-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuji guides are the premier guides used on most good rods today. Yes, it is installed with a glue or epoxy. Be carefully when you heat to remove. Get one as close to the right size as you can. That epoxy your talking about should work fine. I have always use JB weld because that's usually what I have laying around the shop.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I looked up that JB weld epoxy....it says it can withstand temps up to 550 degrees. That worries me.....how would I get the tip off again whenever the new one breaks if the ol' wave the lighter under the rod tip until it loosens method don't work?! I want STRONG but not permanent �� Cause I'm sure this won't be my last broken rod top!

What other epoxy's you all like to use for rod repair that's easily bought at a local Walmart/Home Depot and cheap ($3-8)? As I mentioned I saw gorilla glue epoxy as well as Loc-Tite epoxy As possible choices.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-11-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

My first rod top to be replaced was from a Fuji kit many years ago. My 14' brush rod has had many replaced, keeps getting shorter.
    Heat the glue, heat the rod tip, cover the tip with glue. Heat the replacement top, slid it on the tip. Hold the rod tip down against something. Heat again. It doesn't need to much heat.
    I've had some tops that need to be replaced. I don't know what kind of glue they used. A lot of heat and still not moving. Usually used side cutters to remove it.
    Here's a couple of links of where I buy mine.
    Fishing rod tip tops, fishing rod tip repair
    80pcs Fishing Rod Guide Tip Repair Kit Eye Rings Stainless Steel Frames w Box US | eBay
    Sports & Outdoors - Walmart.com
    Last edited by canebreaker; 04-11-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEYESfromOHIO View Post
    I looked up that JB weld epoxy....it says it can withstand temps up to 550 degrees. That worries me.....how would I get the tip off again whenever the new one breaks if the ol' wave the lighter under the rod tip until it loosens method don't work?! I want STRONG but not permanent �� Cause I'm sure this won't be my last broken rod top!

What other epoxy's you all like to use for rod repair that's easily bought at a local Walmart/Home Depot and cheap ($3-8)? As I mentioned I saw gorilla glue epoxy as well as Loc-Tite epoxy As possible choices.
    You be surprised how just a little heat will loosen it up. The other thing is that deal Doggone posted. Easy to work with just not my personal preference. Some of your other 2 part epoxies will also work.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have replaced, and had my local tackle store replace tips on rods. Every time the Fuji glue stick was used ... and that was the end of it.

If you use an epoxy or other "permanent" product and have to replace the tip again, you will be cutting off the tip and replacing it with a slightly larger tip eye. If you use the Fuji product, you can replace tip eyes as often as necessary.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I have replaced, and had my local tackle store replace tips on rods. Every time the Fuji glue stick was used ... and that was the end of it.

If you use an epoxy or other "permanent" product and have to replace the tip again, you will be cutting off the tip and replacing it with a slightly larger tip eye. If you use the Fuji product, you can replace tip eyes as often as necessary.
    You can with JB Weld too.... like Cray .......I have been useing it for years
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I replace mine with glue stick and a small piece of shrink wrap.

Post Thanks / Like

a common 2 part epoxy bought from Wal-marts or Home Depot will do the job and easy to remove.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast