PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Crappie Rattle Bobbers?

Mamba334
04-11-2016, 12:38 PM
I have been using the Rocket Bobbers, and while they are ok, someone told me to use the little Mr. Crappie rattle bobbers. They're just so small ... but they do rattle good. I am hesitant to use them because I've always used orange or yellow bobbers and these are green and yellow. What's your thoughts on them? Anyone else used these before I buy them?

Thanks.

glasseyes
04-11-2016, 12:42 PM
they are cheap and made cheap. I still have a few but the clips on them are not of any quality, some work some don't. They may have the rattle but you are right, the green color is bad. I use the rocket bobber a lot . Although I still have several of the Mr. crappie bobbers I have not used one in a couple years now. cheap plastic, be very careful and don't hit any rocks , they crack easy. I know just my opinion but I use a lot of different bobbers and I'm always trying something new

Mamba334
04-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Yeah, the pegged floats work good for me. These Rocket Bobbers are ok, but I don't see what the big hype is. Mine never stands up, just shoots down. haha

glasseyes
04-12-2016, 04:33 AM
I like using the rocket bobber when it's windy and waves are quite big. I can detect the bite at a large distance with it and can throw it much farther. It works very good for me in a few areas I fish that I need a long cast on windy days. I have always had good luck on hook set and mine work just the way they are supposed to, a slight raise on the top and fish on.

Crestliner08
04-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Haven't tried the Rocket Bobbers yet, but plan to in the next month or so. I do have some "Wing-It" bobbers which I like, but obviously they do not rattle.

glasseyes
04-12-2016, 06:44 AM
the draw back on rocket bobber is you can only use up to 1/32 oz on jig. anything more and it will raise up. this is ok for me as I make my own jigs , so for color match I keep several small jigs different color hair to use with it. And no it doesn't rattle, at least ones I bought don't. I bought a bulk of the on Ebay, half with orange tops and half with green tops. for cloudy or sunny days.

Mamba334
04-12-2016, 06:54 AM
the draw back on rocket bobber is you can only use up to 1/32 oz on jig. anything more and it will raise up. this is ok for me as I make my own jigs , so for color match I keep several small jigs different color hair to use with it. And no it doesn't rattle, at least ones I bought don't. I bought a bulk of the on Ebay, half with orange tops and half with green tops. for cloudy or sunny days.

I've never seen the green tops. I purchased the multi-colored panfish mini-size, orange and yellow. It says orange top for sunny days and yellow top for cloudy days. They work well yes, but my only issue with them is I can't use a split shot to keep my minnow down. A lot of times I see the minnow swimming at the top on the water. I use a #2 Aberdeen hook with 4-6lb test Vicious Panfish vis-clear line, with my Ugly Stick 6.5" rod, open-face spin cast. If you put a tiny split shot weight on it, it stands up. :dono

I see these guys come by Spider-Rigging with 7-9 poles and catch 5 at once. Ticks me off because they steal my fish! I so wish I had a boat or a friend with a boat so I could experience that, but I guess people don't want to take a partner they don't know I guess. I'm extremely quite when I fish too. I don't talk much. My granddad always told me to hush :biggrin

Cray
04-12-2016, 06:54 AM
I made some rattle bobbers one time after buying some WM ones and they broke. I found some larger sized pear shaped bobbers in red and white, took a drill and drilled a hole towards the top, found a old pack of brass BB's and put 5-6 in the float then filled hole with a small dab of silicone. Worked great and added that extra weight for casting in the wind.

glasseyes
04-12-2016, 07:09 AM
I should have said yellow top not green :)

Mamba334
04-12-2016, 07:15 AM
That's too much work man lol.

I'm thinking about going this weekend but this rain needs to move out!! I don't think it's been one week without a day of rain/storms in Alabama since Christmas Eve. It's crazy! These guys keep saying they are catching 70+ when the limit is 30 lol ... shhhh ... Maybe 70 between two people? lol. But they are all in boats. I fish from the Peir because snakes are out now so bank fishing is risky. I'm going to go give these Rocket Bobbers another try this weekend, but I get paid Friday and would LOVE to be in a boat fishing. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. So helpful and kind. You guys are always so awesome. I saw this youtube video of a guy named, Steve fishing with Pear bobbers (orange and yellow) and he was reelin' 'em in! So I thought I'd ask. I remember my grandfather introduced me to the, Smokey Joe Rattle-Trap lure. OMG that thing caught sooooo many fish! You should give it a try! Just google it.

glasseyes
04-12-2016, 07:24 AM
I fish from the bank all the time, I have one rod that's 9.5' long that I use for bobber fishing, I was at a lake Sunday afternoon when wind was gusting 30 mph I think, standing on a sloping smooth bank as the lake is a draw down lake and is still at winter pool, I was able to set the rocket bobber at 11' deep and wing it out as far as I wanted with my little 1/32 oz black and chart hair jig, it rocked back and forth on the waves and when I seen anything yellow I set the hook. This worked for me all afternoon. Caught nothing but dinks but no one else was catching anything. I have a few of them that can be used as slip bobber but never do I I normally don't fish deeper than 8'-'10 foot deep

Mamba334
04-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Well, the 3 Piers stick out over a slough. The slough is only 4-5 ft deep. When it's windy I just don't fish, because I feel they are deeper. I went and rented a Jon boat at Bibb County lake one day and that was the scariest. The wind, even anchored, was spinning me in circles. I bought 3 dozen minnows and couldn't even fish. I won't be doing that again. So I just fish from the Pier because that's the only place I know of around here. Do you live near Calera, AL? So you're using it as a slip bobber? I use it as a still bobber with the minnow 2 ft from the bobber. You think the weather will be good this weekend here in Columbiana?

glasseyes
04-12-2016, 07:52 AM
LOL, I live in Ohio, and no I have never used it as a slip bobber, as far as the weather here in Ohio it changes daily, we never know what its going to be day to day

Mamba334
04-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Oh ok. Sorry. I'm at work and didn't do my homework on your location. Just responded back. I'll give it a try this weekend, and if I have any luck, I'll post it! I might rig two poles up one minnow rigged and one 1/16 oz jig black/char baby shad and just let the one with the jig just sit and move with the waves lol, because when those big boats come by, they always cause a ruckus.

glasseyes
04-12-2016, 09:28 AM
LOL, I'm at work also, I just take a look on the forum every once in awhile when I come up to my office.

Cane Pole
04-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Overtime the hear about "rattles", I't brings to mind Mr. Roberts.

gatoloco
04-12-2016, 12:37 PM
as stated earlier the Mr. Crappie bobbers are not made well and do fall apart. rattle bob's not much better. I found some at Academy that were black and purple by eagle claw that were thicker and made more noise. I use them when I am fishing shallow and with live bait. it works here in TX.

Cricketcage
04-14-2016, 10:06 AM
I use the rattle bobbers for exactly the reason that makes you hesitate. I love the green and yellow color combination, and also the weight for size. I do a lot of casting from shore and those colors are the easiest for me to see in the waves. I generally use weighted foam cylindrical shaped bobbers, but when I have a hard time seeing them in the sun or waves I'll switch to the crappie pears.

Mamba334
04-14-2016, 10:31 AM
I use the rattle bobbers for exactly the reason that makes you hesitate. I love the green and yellow color combination, and also the weight for size. I do a lot of casting from shore and those colors are the easiest for me to see in the waves. I generally use weighted foam cylindrical shaped bobbers, but when I have a hard time seeing them in the sun or waves I'll switch to the crappie pears.

Do you get more bites when using the Mr. Crappie green / yellow?

Cricketcage
04-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Do you get more bites when using the Mr. Crappie green / yellow?

I haven't noticed a difference in the number of bites one way or the other. Just easier for me to see in difficult conditions for some reason.

Mamba334
04-14-2016, 12:10 PM
I haven't noticed a difference in the number of bites one way or the other. Just easier for me to see in difficult conditions for some reason.

But you DO catch fish while using them?

Cricketcage
04-14-2016, 12:43 PM
But you DO catch fish while using them?

Absolutely. I mainly brim fish, but caught quite a few crappie working jigs through pad stems on a windy day last year. Works the same as any bobber as near as I can tell. I don't think the rattle or color matter much to the fish. However, I haven't really experiment by switching out when the fish are biting. Maybe the rattle helps in stained or muddy water, I don't know. I mainly fish in clearer water and use them like a standard bobber. I mostly use them when there is a chop on the water because they cast decently in the wind and I can see them well.

Mamba334
04-14-2016, 01:02 PM
I work at Dick's Sporting Goods at night and I was going to grab some tackle later tonight after work. Was thinking of trying them. I'm hoping the weather looks good for next week.

glasseyes
04-14-2016, 01:30 PM
I was looking through my zip lock bags of bobbers I carry and have found that I have eight different variations of bobbers I use and probably 3-4 different sizes of each variation. That's a lot of bobbers. NOW, I keep an inventory of all of those , so that should give you an idea of the pile of bobbers I have. I keep them in separate boxes so as to know what I actually have. Everyone has there favorite bobber, I don't have a favorite. I use a different bobber for the occasion. The weather, the sun or clouds , the wind. Small for light and close up ,or large and visible for heavy and distance blah blah blah. I use what I think will work for what I need to do.

John M
04-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Spider rigging isnt reserved for those in a boat. Now pushing with the longer rods requires a boat. But you can spider rig from the shoreline using the 8,10,12,14,16 foot rods, rod holders and a little imagination.
( Securing rod holders) Now with reference to people catching 70 crappie. The limit isn't on fish caught but number in possession. I'm sure there are a percentage of fisherman that poach fish.( keep over their limit, or fish without a license.) Similar to every other group of people in every other sector of life.

Mamba334
04-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Alabama State Law 2016: (This is why I asked)

It shall be unlawful for any angler to fish with more than three rods and reels, or poles, or any combination thereof on Weiss Reservoir or Neely Henry lakes at any time.

John M
04-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Yes, every state can have different rules governing number of lines used at one time, and could also stipulate the number of lures attached to the line or number hook points utilized.

John M
04-19-2016, 10:04 AM
And in addition to each state having their own rules, they can stipulate different rules on different lakes within their state.