Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tuesday Blackshear Report

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Tuesday Blackshear Report

Well I fished under Smoak bridge again today. I arrived with a bunch of 2 inch shiners and some big shiners also. Around 5 to 6 inches. Those were for the flatheads that I never caught. I put one of these big shiners on the bottom inbetween many a piling today with nothing taking them. Well to get to the point. The crappie were not hungry. I only managed four. Once again they were all big, but only four. Even worse, these guys would barely tap the minnow. So I know I missed a few also, considering I had two rods in rod holders. Then when I pulled them up it was almost dead weight. Almost no fight whatsoever. Talk about lethargic. I don't get it, its been almost two weeks of 70 degree weather. I fished every piling under the bridge. The four came from the middle row. With about an hour of daylight left I gave up on the crappie and decided to pitch some of the larger shiners at the what I thought were big hybrids or stripers chasing shad around the outsides of the bridge. There were smaller fish chasing the shad during the day. I think these were either larger shad or small white bass. Then in the evening the big boys showed up. They were there Saturday too. Anyhow, I was plopping big shiners right in the mix and they wanted nothing to do with them. So I decided to call it a day. I showed them right? Oh well, till next time.
    One question.....does anyone fish the bridge just north of the railroad tressel that crosses the lake near the state park? Its within paddling distance for me and I was wondering if a paddle over there would be worth it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Crappster. Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck. Sounds pretty much like my last couple trips up to Blackshear.

I have fished the 280 bridge a few times. Had good luck there once or twice and poor luck there once or twice. Last couple trips up that way someone was sitting in the spot I like to fish so I couldn't get over there. But, if you do make the trip across to the bridge, look for the Sonny Perdue sticker on the trussel side of the bridge. It's on one of the concrete pilings about middle of the bridge. I, and a few of my friends, have had decent luck right there.

The last couple times that I've been there, there were some decent numbers, and sizes, coming from the channel before you get to the trussel. We were fishing the drop-offs from 18-20 feet down to 26-32 feet right on the edge of the channel. You might have a little luck over there.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skillet
    Hi Crappster. Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck. Sounds pretty much like my last couple trips up to Blackshear.

I have fished the 280 bridge a few times. Had good luck there once or twice and poor luck there once or twice. Last couple trips up that way someone was sitting in the spot I like to fish so I couldn't get over there. But, if you do make the trip across to the bridge, look for the Sonny Perdue sticker on the trussel side of the bridge. It's on one of the concrete pilings about middle of the bridge. I, and a few of my friends, have had decent luck right there.

The last couple times that I've been there, there were some decent numbers, and sizes, coming from the channel before you get to the trussel. We were fishing the drop-offs from 18-20 feet down to 26-32 feet right on the edge of the channel. You might have a little luck over there.

Good luck.

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I most likely will try that bridge next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Crappster, Fishing Report

Hello Crappster, That was a good fishing report. I enjoyed reading it. I am in Savannah and don't get that way. Wish I did Sounds like a place I would like to fish, Skillit Thanks for your help, Thats what this board is all about , People helping each other . Can't wait untill this knee heals so I can get back out there fishing again. Good luck to all and keep the fishing reports coming! Jimmt S,

Post Thanks / Like

Hi JimmyS, good to hear from you. Hope you're progressing well. You take care of yourself.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

this is the river that i fish when i dont go to the lake

Post Thanks / Like

the weather is going to cool down this weekin and the crappie will go back to deep water i think and the r r trussel at the round piling right next to the new boat opening .it is shallow on the east side and on the west side drops from 15 to 20 or more ft. between the roun piling and the bridge is a highley fished place . and the other end of the r r trussel is where i have cought some to . you have a lot of boat trafic at the east end and some at the west end but notas moch becouse it isent as wide .you know that some boaters don respect the fishermen and dont idle as low as they should . there is a brush pile at the e end of the 280 bridge and have cought some on it . it is onley 10 ft deep . that will be a good spot when they are in the shallows . the bridge at the park intrance isent a bad spot either . the deep channel is on the south end of the bridge . papasage